- Hallmark is credited with founding the modern-day gift wrap industry in 1917.
- Gift bags were introduced in 1987 and, according to Hallmark research and sales history, they have been the number one way consumers choose to present gifts since 2002.
Hallmark has always been on the cutting edge of gift wrap.
In 1917 Hallmark can be credited with founding the modern-day gift wrap industry when, during the Christmas season in 1917, the Hall Brothers’ store in Kansas City ran out of the red, green, white and holly tissue sheets that people used to wrap gifts. Some decorative envelope lining papers from France were brought from Hallmark’s manufacturing plant and put on top of a showcase for 10 cents a sheet. They sold quickly.
The next year, the sheets were offered three for 25 cents, and again, they sold out. Soon gift wrap became the first product Hallmark made that was a departure from greeting cards. From then on, Hallmark continued to lead the gift wrap industry through the years:
- 1930s – Developed Hall Sheen ribbon, the shiny kind that sticks to itself when licked like a stamp.
- 1970s – Introduced jumbo plastic gift bags for large items.
- 1987 – Introduced paper gift bags with handles.
- 1994 – Created curl cascade ribbons (ribbons that are curled and gathered together, ready to place on a gift bag or package).
- 2006 – Introduced gift bags and gift-card boxes with sound technology.
- 2008 – Introduced holiday gift bags with peek-buster motion-activated sound technology and fiber-optic light.
- 2010 – Created dimensional peel-and-stick gift trims as an alternative to a traditional bow on top of a package.
- 2017 – Introduced the Card Pocket on its gift bags, which allows consumers to easily store their greeting card and recipients to easily find it.
- Hallmark Gold Crown® stores offer the most extensive collection of gift presentation products. Several design collections are changed out throughout the year to offer consumers a continual supply of new patterns and accessories.
- Innovative touches include embossing, pearl inks, glitter, flocking, reversible designs, fabrics, ribbons, beading, attachments, special die-cut designs and printed sentiments.
- Most of Hallmark’s gift wrap selections are priced below $3.99.
- Hallmark offers unique ways to present gifts beyond the traditional bags and rolls, including reusable gift bags (made of non-paper material the recipient can use again), wine bottle bags, gift-card presenters and designed gift boxes with high-process designs or fabric attachments.
- Hallmark gift bags often come in interesting shapes, which include squares, trapezoids (wider at top and narrower at bottom) and a variety of die-cut shapes such as animals or flowers.
- Many gift bags are reusable, providing the recipient with two gifts. With sturdy handles that fold up and fashion-forward designs, these durable bags are ideal for shopping, travel and even the pool or beach.
- For those who like to customize, Hallmark offers a wide variety of solid-colored gift bags and sturdy gift boxes in trendy colors, along with coordinating designed or printed tissues and a large selection of trims. Boxes have metal grommets with ribbon closures through which attachments can be threaded. The boxes are now offered in two sizes.
- To complete a gift, Hallmark Gold Crown stores offer an extensive line of traditional and fabric ribbons, as well as trims made of materials such as beads, fabric, wire, layered paper and ceramic. New colorful monogram accessory chains allow consumers to personalize the gift presentation with the recipient’s initial.
- Gift-card presenters provide a unique way to give a gift card. They are themed for specific occasions and are often designed cleverly with appropriate editorial or images for giving a gift card.
Innovative Gift Wrap Options
- Card pockets ensure a greeting card remains front and center on any gift. Available on many of Hallmark’s new gift bags, the card pocket is an innovative idea that allows a gift giver to easily store the greeting card and a gift recipient to easily find it.
- Gift bags, boxes and trims can enhance any present – many go way beyond a simple bag or box. Some offer simple paper-mechanics motion and others have a lenticular design that displays a fully animated two-second scene when tipped from side to side. Monogram and initial trims help personalize the gift presentation.