Care for Our People Story
Renewing Creativity: Hallmark’s #My5Days Initiative Gives Artists Opportunity to Explore Their Creative Spirit
For four years, Hallmark has given its creative staff the opportunity to renew their creative spirit and seek inspiration in the world around them through #my5days. This program is an investment in Hallmark’s creative talent that supports their unique sense of purpose. As part of the program, creative employees are given five days of accountable time during the year, supported and driven by leadership, to step away from their day-to-day duties to explore, learn or create, and ultimately bring this new thinking back into their work. The employees can choose from a company-organized workshop or a self-guided day.
Examples of workshops held in 2019:
Ability KC Mural
- Ability KC offers medical rehabilitation, a therapeutic preschool and vocational services and supports more than 3,000 people per year.
- Through #my5days, Hallmark artists designed and painted a large-scale mural in the newly renovated gym area that is used for therapy sessions.
- This mural was done in partnership with Hallmark’s Disability Inclusion Group (DIG), an employee resource group (ERG).
Art That Blows
- Art That Blows is a charity art auction benefitting Band of Angels, a nonprofit dedicated to providing musical instruments and scholarships to children in need.
- A #my5days workshop gave Hallmark artists an opportunity to turn donated instruments that were beyond repair into works of art that were sold at the auction.
- This was Hallmark’s third year offering a #my5days workshop to support this auction.
Urban Canvas Murals
- The Urban Canvas Project is a neighborhood beautification and safety project in the urban core of Kansas City, Mo.
- As part of a #my5days, Hallmark artists turned abandoned houses owned by Kansas City Land Bank into works of art.
- Artists worked in teams by designing and painting up to three panels that would go on one house. The artists also helped Land Bank install the panels on each home.♦