- Christmas is the largest card-sending holiday in the United States with approximately 1.2 billion cards sent annually.
- Hallmark provides more than 2,000 Hallmark Christmas card designs, including more than 1,500 individual Christmas cards, more than 250 boxed-card selections, 74 Mahogany Christmas cards for African-American consumers, and more than 200 Hallmark Sinceramente cards for Hispanic consumers.
- According to Hallmark research, nearly three-fourths of consumers who send holiday cards do so because they know how good it feels when they receive a holiday greeting.
- Hallmark made its first Christmas cards in 1915, five years after the founding of the company.
2015 Hallmark Christmas Card News
- Hallmark offers more than 1,500 individual Christmas greeting cards including 99-cent value cards, cards that meet a variety of diverse relationship needs, faith-based cards, humor cards, Mahogany Christmas cards for African-American consumer, and Hallmark Sinceramente designs with Spanish and bilingual messages designed for Hispanic consumers.
- Hallmark Gold Crown® stores offer the widest variety of Christmas cards featuring unique artistry that reflects the spirit of the seasons. Designs from traditional to elegant to contemporary cards, can all be found including:
- Kim Pjecha Family Collections – Show how much family means to you this holiday season with the simple, striking designs of Hallmark artist Kim Pjecha. Pjecha's collection for Mom, Dad, and close family relationships features illustrations of holidays and home in a classic red and cream color palette. Her collection for Son and Daughter illustrates the magic of winter in soft cream and shimmering metallic hues.
- Flora Chang Kids Collection – These fun and festive cards feature globally-influenced holiday images for kids of all ages.
- Justin Spray Holiday Sparkle Collection – Bold jewel tones and shimmer provide the perfect way to spread holiday cheer to anyone from close friends to casual acquaintances.
- Truly Thankful – Holidays are the best time to say "thanks" to the people who make life brighter all year long. These upbeat, uplifting cards deliver casual messages of appreciation.
- Boxed Holiday Cards – More than 250 boxed-card designs are available this year and cover a range of styles including Traditional, Faith-based, Elegant and Fun. Additional creative offerings include decorative 3D holiday display containers that can be kept out long after the cards inside have been sent, mini-Hallmark Signature cards that still retain the same unique style and quality of the full size line and Tin Collections which include cards packaged in a distinctive and keepsakeable tin.
- Gift Card Holders – Gift card greetings remain a popular way to give gift cards for a range of relationships. Many feature hot properties and fun, innovative formats.
- Niche Cards – Hallmark also offers a card for just about every sending need, from active military personnel to the doctor, postal carrier, school bus driver or hairdresser. Hallmark Gold Crown® stores provide the largest selection of "niche-caption" cards with nearly 100 niche cards this season.
- More than 900 personalized holiday greeting cards are available on Hallmark.com for Christmas, Season's Greetings, Happy Holidays and more. A sender can create the perfect card by personalizing the text and adding photos. Hallmark.com will stamp and send the card directly to one or many recipients or back to the sender to hand deliver. There are a variety of different card formats available including cards with room for multiple photos to tell a story and cards featuring laser die-cuts, metallic and foil processes and premium papers.
- HallmarkEcards.com provides Christmas ecards to share with friends and family, available with a subscription.
- Mahogany offers 74 individual Christmas cards that resonate with the African-American consumer. A variety of traditional, religious and humorous designs are available. These cards capture the warmth of the holiday season and help people to share good and warm wishes with family, friends and colleagues. Mahogany also offers 12 boxed card designs as well as multiple designs at Hallmark.com.
- Hallmark Sinceramente offers 11 boxed card designs and more than 200 individual Christmas cards that express the warmth of Latino traditions and the closeness of family and friends. Popular captions include Dear Family, Three Kings Day, and money holders. Cards include Spanish editorial with English translations on back. Hallmark Sinceramente Christmas cards are also available on Hallmark.com.
Englishman Henry Cole conceived the idea of Christmas cards in 1843. Too busy to write a personal holiday greeting, Cole hired well-known London artist, John Calcott Horsley, to design a card he could send to all his acquaintances.
Louis Prang, a German immigrant, is credited with bringing the idea of Christmas cards to America. In 1875 he printed a card that showed Killarney roses and the words "Merry Christmas."
In Stores & Online
Available at Hallmark Gold Crown® stores nationwide, online at Hallmark.com and other participating Hallmark retailers. Use the store locator on Hallmark.com to find the nearest Hallmark Gold Crown store.