- Christmas is the largest card-sending holiday in the United States with approximately 1.5 billion cards sent annually.
- Hallmark provides more than 2,700 Hallmark Christmas card designs, including more than 1,500 individual Christmas cards, more than 265 boxed-card selections, more than 75 Mahogany Christmas cards for African-American consumers, and more than 200 Hallmark Sinceramente cards for Hispanic consumers.
- According to Hallmark research, nearly three-fourths of consumers who send holiday cards do so because they know how good it feels when they receive a holiday greeting.
- Hallmark made its first Christmas cards in 1915, five years after the founding of the company.
2013 Hallmark Christmas Card News
The widest variety of new Holiday greeting cards can be found at Hallmark Gold Crown® stores. More than 1,500 designs include:
- Family Collections – Show how much family means to you this holiday season with these high quality, handcrafted cards including:
- Mom and Dad – Warm sentiments combine with the classic illustrations of Hallmark artist Geoff Greenleaf.
- Son or Daughter – White, winter elegance with metallic touches helps these cards stand out in a sea of red and green.
- Brother or Sister – Frosted photos with simply stated sentiments are accompanied by specially designed envelopes.
- Husband or Wife – Make a Christmas statement to your loved one with exquisite sparkle and shine.
- Gift Card Holder Collection – As giving gift cards for the holidays continues to increase in popularity, Hallmark presents creative ways to deliver a gift card in a more personal, meaningful way. New gift card holders provide sentiment and emotion alongside fun processes and special attachments. There are gift card holders within the Family Collections and Hallmark Signature Collection, as well as innovative gift card holders featuring paper mechanics.
- Hallmark Signature Collection – This collection of 53 holiday cards is truly unique, just like a signature. Exquisite textures, premium quality paper and relevant messages help Hallmark Signature Collection cards become holiday favorites that will adorn mantles and be appreciated for several seasons. Many cards also feature fun embellishments such as removable ornaments and more.
- Life is good® – The powerful optimism of the Life is good® brand introduces new cards for Christmas. The new cards incorporate rich colors and short but powerful sentiments.
- Duck Dynasty® – New for 2013, Christmas cards featuring the bearded stars of the hit TV show "Duck Dynasty" on A&E. Let the Robertsons deliver a wish for a "Happy, Happy, Happy" Christmas. Duck Dynasty Christmas cards will be available in participating Hallmark Gold Crown stores, Walmart stores, and other select retailers.
- Simply Christmas – A simple photography collection that embodies the true sweetness of Christmas is back this year by popular demand. Each card serves as a warm wish for the season, and each photo captures a small, but memorable moment of Christmastime. Less is more with these beautifully simple cards.
- UNICEF – Hallmark's partnership with UNICEF continues this year with five individual and 24 boxed card designs available. Hallmark pays a portion of the net wholesale sales of the cards to the U.S. Fund for UNICEF.
- Boxed Holiday Cards – More than 265 boxed-card designs are available this year and cover a range of styles including Traditional, Faith-based, Elegant and Fun. Thomas Kinkade, Photo Holders and Regional Imagery cards are also available. At Hallmark Gold Crown, there is sure to be something for everyone. Brand-new Boxed Holiday Card offerings include:
- Foil-Designed Envelopes: Select cards in Traditional, Elegant and Faith collections include beautiful envelopes with foil designs on the outside for a shiny, distinctive look.
- Made in the U.S.A. (Hallmark Gold Crown exclusive): This year's increased offering of boxed Christmas cards made in the United States includes a collection of 7 new photography designs and Life is good® designs.
- Signature Collection (Hallmark Gold Crown exclusive): With special processes, attachments and warm messages, every Signature Collection card feels like a work of art.
- 40-Count Die-Cut Assortments: Each box includes four designs with sentiments for every sending need in a range of categories – Traditional, Fun, Faith and Elegant.
- 40-Count Premium Cards: Priced at $16.99 each box includes designed envelopes and seals.
- 40-Count Value Cards: These cards are made in the U.S.A. They are value priced at $14.99 offering the price-conscious consumer a variety of images, icons and sentiments.
Hallmark.com offers Personalized Photo Card choices
- The Personalized Card selection on Hallmark.com offers a selection of more than 175 unique holiday greeting cards that can be customized with personal photos and messages. The personalized cards help senders express creativity with messages of warmth and meaning that connect loved ones both close to home and afar.
- New for Christmas 2013 are laser-cut holiday cards. These intricately cut cards are beautifully designed to include favorite photos and holiday messages.
- Multiple card designs on Hallmark.com are sure to stand out and go from the mailbox straight to the mantel. Displayable formats like trifolds that allow personal storytelling with multiple photos and captions on the front and back, as well as cards designed as personalized ornaments and with magnetic paper stock are treasured and keepsakeable.
- Other cards include premium formats like metallic, foil-embossed and ultra-premium paper that are sure to be noticed and make a lasting impression on the recipient.
- A wide range of sentiments are available on Hallmark.com, including faith-inspired cards that cover a variety of spiritual needs with designs and messages ranging from simple blessings to more devout expressions and symbols of faith.
- Hallmark.com also offers a range of multiculturally-relevant cards for Hispanic and African-American consumers.
- Personalized paper cards have several new and unique options:
- Consumers can shop for their Holiday cards by their preferred Design Style – Classic, Elegant, Fun & Playful, Homespun, Modern, and Vintage.
- A selection of cards will offer consumers the ability to select up to four different color options for the same design.
- Photo newsletters allow families to tell the stories of their year with multiple photos.
- Hallmark.com is partnering with UNICEF to offer card and photo card designs in 2013. Hallmark pays a portion of the net wholesale sales of the cards to the U.S. Fund for UNICEF.
- HallmarkEcards.com offers Christmas ecards, available with a subscription. Choose from designs featuring perennial favorites such as Thomas Kinkade and Peanuts, as well as fresh stylings and animation techniques.
Hallmark has a Christmas card to suit most every need
- Christmas card prices from Hallmark begin at just 99 cents.
- For the season of light, Hallmark offers cards that twinkle, glow and glimmer – sometimes in time to music.
- Many Hallmark gift-card holder greeting cards feature hot licensed properties.
- More than 265 boxed-card designs cover a range of styles including traditional, faith-based, elegant and fun.
- Hot licensed properties such as Thomas Kinkade, Peanuts® and Disney are featured in this year's individual card line. Boxed cards also feature Thomas Kinkade and Precious Moments designs, as well as the Peanuts® gang.
- Hallmark offers a card for just about every holiday sending need, from active military personnel to the doctor, postal carrier, school bus driver or hairdresser. Hallmark Gold Crown® stores provide the largest selection of "niche-caption" cards with nearly 100 niche cards this season.
Hallmark meets the needs of ethnic consumers
- Mahogany offers 75 individual Christmas cards that resonate with the African-American consumer. The line includes traditional, religious, and deluxe designs – including Money Holders and Cards With Sound. These cards capture the warmth of the holiday season and help people share good and warm wishes with family, friends, and colleagues. Mahogany also offers 12 boxed card designs.
- Hallmark Sinceramente offers 11 boxed card designs and more than 200 individual Christmas cards that express the warmth of tradition and the closeness of family and friends. Popular captions include Dear Family, Three Kings Day, and Money Holders. Cards include Spanish editorial with English translations on back.
- Also offered is Hallmark Sinceramente Premium, a beautiful, highly-crafted six card collection with detachable ornaments, perfect for the person looking to splurge on a card that has that little something extra.
- Eight Hallmark Sinceramente Cards With Sound add fun and excitement to the offering this year. Designs feature popular songs in Spanish such as as "Feliz Navidad" and "Arbolito de Navidad."
Englishman Henry Cole conceived the idea of Christmas cards in 1843. Too busy to write a personal holiday greeting, Cole hired well-known London artist, John Calcott Horsley, to design a card he could send to all his acquaintances.
Louis Prang, a German immigrant, is credited with bringing the idea of Christmas cards to America. In 1875 he printed a card that showed Killarney roses and the words "Merry Christmas."
Available at Hallmark Gold Crown® stores nationwide. Use the store locator on Hallmark.com to find the nearest Hallmark Gold Crown store.