- The Mahogany brand from Hallmark provides the most extensive offering of cards available for African-American consumers.
- The top five markets for Hallmark Mahogany card sales are: 1) Washington, D.C., 2) New York, 3) Chicago, 4) Philadelphia, 5) Atlanta.
- With 42 million people, African Americans account for 13.6 percent of the total U.S. population. (Source: U.S. Census Bureau, The Black Population: 2010)
- Hallmark began offering cards relevant for African Americans in the 1960s and introduced the Mahogany line in 1987.
- Hallmark Mahogany features everyday and seasonal cards to help African Americans honor their relationships in innovative, compelling and culturally-relevant ways. The line features cards appropriate for both adults and children.
- Mahogany offers cards for several seasons – Valentine's Day, Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, graduation, Christmas and Kwanzaa – as well as a full range of everyday occasions, such as birthday, thinking of you, get well, wedding, anniversary, sympathy and more. The line also includes Christmas boxed cards.
- Sentiments range from religious to humorous and poetic to casual.
- Hallmark.com offers Mahogany card designs that can be customized online with photos and personal messages. Hallmark will address, stamp and mail cards ordered from Hallmark.com. The service is free; consumers only pay for the postage.
- A variety of Mahogany ecards with animation and sound also are available at Hallmark.com.
Hallmark has been creating cards that speak to African-American culture since the 1960s. The company first introduced the Mahogany name in 1987 as a 16-card promotion. Mahogany became a year-round brand offering both everyday and seasonal cards in 1991.
Through the years, Mahogany has collaborated with well-known African-Americans such as Maya Angelou, T.D. Jakes and Iyanla Vanzant. The brand also partnered with the U.S. Postal Service in 1999 to celebrate the accomplishments of African Americans in history through the Legacy of Greatness cards that coordinated with the collectible postage stamps of the same name.
In 2007, the Mahogany team created a limited-edition, six-card collection celebrating 20 years of providing culturally rich product in the greeting card industry. In addition, the Hallmark Mahogany website was launched in 2007.
Available at Hallmark Gold Crown® stores nationwide and wherever Hallmark Mahogany products are sold. Use the store locator on Hallmark.com to find the nearest Hallmark Gold Crown store.