- Hallmark has always created cards with general messages of encouragement, but research shows consumers also want messages addressing specific needs and life events.
- People of all ages tell Hallmark that humor is more important now than ever, because laughter heals and helps people connect and cope in times of stress.
- Hallmark research shows that more than 90 percent of women, including millennials, agree that greeting cards can brighten someone’s day.
- Nearly as many women add that receiving a card lifts their spirits and is a good way to share a laugh or lighten a load.
- Hallmark research also shows that greeting cards help us convey sentiments – like feelings that are uncomfortable to say out loud – that can’t be communicated in other ways.
- Hallmark is making it easier for shoppers to find cards that offer words of encouragement, with new cards appropriate for more sending situations, all grouped in a “tough times” zone. Signs within and above new displays in many Hallmark Gold Crown® stores help shoppers find the cards they need for someone going through a tough time. (These new displays are gradually rolling out to Hallmark Gold Crown® stores throughout 2012 and 2013.)
- Hallmark offers 98 cards that help people share words of encouragement or support for a variety of life situations, including job loss, cancer treatment, difficult times, end of life, recovery/rehab, stress, self-improvement, new beginnings, congratulations, appreciation for caregiver, and “you can do it.” These cards can be found in several Hallmark card lines, and include thinking-of-you messages, as well as messages that help consumers show support as someone copes with a tough situation.
- These cards go beyond the expected and formal to being realistic, nurturing and conversational. They relay a sense of caring versus a sense of etiquette. The cards are designed to offer comfort, care and compassion. Messages range from emotional to humorous, and design styles are visually fresh and inviting, including landscapes, animal photography, lettering and licensed properties.
- Hallmark also offers a standalone line of 102 get-well cards, and more than 200 sympathy cards, which are available in several Hallmark card lines. The sympathy card line includes messages with an encouraging tone that give consumers a way to show support throughout the grieving process, which extends long after the death of a loved one.
- In addition, the Hallmark Gold Crown® Kids Encouragement line, first introduced in 2010, has 42 cards for kids, tweens and teens, giving parents and caregivers more ways to show love, support and pride for the young people in their lives. The cards in the collection range from lighthearted and warm, to personal and heartfelt, with messages that express support, love, pride, and "miss you." The Kids Encouragement line has a wide range of cards addressing specific needs, such as the complex concerns children have with school, friends and family, sports and other activities. Whether giving praise for a job well done or providing support during a difficult time, parents and caregivers are sure to find a card that meets their needs.
- The Hallmark Gold Crown® Kids Encouragement line also offers collections during certain times of the year. The collection themes include summer time, back to school and end of year. Several cards are available April-July to offer messages reflecting "school’s out," as well as cards suitable for sending to kids who are away at summer camps. The line includes thinking of you and miss you cards with a summer twist that could be sent by grandparents or parents whose children are away for an extended period of time. In July-October, the line features several back-to-school cards for preschoolers all the way through high school to help families affirm and encourage kids as they transition from summer back into the school year. In addition, several general encouragement cards are available October-April that express love and gratitude for the recipient. They are great for parents/adults/caregivers to give a kid a word of encouragement or just let a child know he/she is loved.
- Nine Kids Encouragement cards also are in the Connections From Hallmark line, available in Walmart stores, including cards with messages for good luck, congrats, get well, miss you, love you and encouragement for older kids.
- Hallmark also makes it easy for people to show an outpouring of love and support for someone special through its Card Showers from Hallmark service, which was introduced in 2012. The free, online service helps a group of people "shower" a special person with a mailbox full of well wishes, gratitude or support. With this service, consumers quickly can create and organize their own Card Showers to share "get well" wishes, celebrate occasions, and many other card-sending situations. Card Showers from Hallmark makes it easy and more efficient because the online tool helps organizers invite and communicate with friends and family participants, as well as track the success of the shower.
- Consumers also will find more than 300 encouragement cards on Hallmark.com. They include messages of cope and support, miss you, praying for you, proud of you, thinking of you and more. Consumers can adjust the layout of some personalized cards with text, photo or a combination of the two, and can choose a song on some cards. Hallmark.com will address, stamp and mail the cards ordered. The service is free; consumers pay for the postage.
A selection of encouragement cards are available wherever Hallmark cards are sold. The largest selection is available at Hallmark Gold Crown® stores nationwide. Use the store locator on Hallmark.com to find the nearest Hallmark Gold Crown store.