Celebrated on June 16, 2013
- Father’s Day is always the third Sunday in June.
- Father’s Day is the fourth-largest card-sending holiday in the United States, with 93 million cards exchanged annually.
- 50 percent of all Father’s Day cards are purchased for dads. Nearly 15 percent of Father’s Day cards are purchased for husbands. Other categories include grandfathers, sons, brothers, uncles, and someone special.
- Two top-selling kinds of cards are “Dad from Daughter” and cards from a couple or family group: “Dad From Both” and “Our Wish.”
- Humor cards account for about 30 percent of Father’s Day sales.
- Hallmark has been producing Father’s Day cards since the early 1920s.
2013 Product Features
Cards for Special Dads
- Hallmark offers more than 650 cards for Father's Day, including Shoebox humor cards, Hallmark Mahogany cards for African-American consumers and Hallmark Sinceramente designs with Spanish messages designed for Hispanic consumers.
- Card prices begin at 99 cents.
- New for Father's Day 2013, Hallmark offers the following:
- Magic Prints: A continuation of the collection that debuted at Mother's Day, these cards provide a stress-free and mess-free way for Mom to include kids in the gift-giving process in a fun, magical way.
- Hallmark Signature Collection cards for Father's Day are truly unique, just like a signature. The exquisite textures, premium quality paper, fun embellishments, and relevant messages are sure to help Hallmark Signature Collection cards become holiday favorites.
- Card Presenters: Timeless sentiments paired with high-processed envelopes to enhance the value, prestige and emotion of delivering a Hallmark card. Features the artwork of Hallmark artist, Geoff Greenleaf.
- Life is good®: Collection features Hallmark's newest partnership with the Life is good® Company just in time for Father's Day. These cards spread the power of optimism.
- Pops: Large extreme Pop-Ups will be the featured highlight in the humor display this Father's Day. Inventive mechanics contribute to the "wow" factor.
- Duck Dynasty: Arriving in June, exclusively at select Walmart stores nationwide, six Father's Day cards featuring the bearded stars of the hit TV show "Duck Dynasty." Let Willie, Phil, Jase and Si wish Dad a "Happy Happy Happy" Father's Day!
- Thomas Kinkade: Also exclusively at Walmart for Father's Day, the powerful artwork of the painter of light, Thomas Kinkade. Celebrate Dad with a large art print, which serves as a gift and card in one.
- Jumbo Greetings: These large, attention-getting cards really make an impact. They range from fun and funny to sincere, and even include favorite Father's Day licensed properties.
- Hallmark is bringing back the following consumer favorites for Father’s Day:
- Shoebox cards offer a fun, humorous way to appreciate, affirm and acknowledge the dads in a consumer’s life through real-life, shared parenting experiences.
- The Hallmark Mahogany Father's Day collection features more than 60 cards for Father's Day with a broad selection of culturally relevant designs and warm sentiments to honor Dad, Grandfather, Husband, Brother or Anyone who is a special father-figure in the consumer's life.
- Hallmark Sinceramente features more than 100 Spanish-language Father's Day cards with a variety of formats including Cards With Sound.
- Card Showers from Hallmark is a free, online service that helps a group of people “shower” a special person with a mailbox full of well wishes, gratitude or support. With this new service, consumers quickly can create and organize their own Card Showers to share ‘get well’ wishes or celebrate occasions, such as Father's Day.
- Hallmark.com offers a variety of cards and ecards for Father’s Day. On Hallmark.com, you can upload photos and draft customized messages to be featured in your card. Hallmark will address, stamp and mail your Father’s Day cards for you.
Gifts Perfect for Dad
- One-of-a-Kind Creations Gifts: New for 2013, Hallmark partners with Shutterfly to help shoppers create one-of-a-kind gifts for dad and grandpa! This product provides ways for consumers to personalize gifts using their digital pictures. Special coupon codes are included in each package for use on the Shutterfly website which allow easy and convenient access to templates. The codes also provide consumers with the printout of their photos and direct-to-home shipping at no extra cost.
- Magic Prints: Provides shoppers with unique gifts that are personalized by a child's handprint or footprint. Get kids involved in gift-giving in a fun way. They're easy for kids to create and adults love to receive them. An innovative process – clear, mess-free solution from Crayola® in a Magic Mitt and special Magic Print paper – makes creation easy and sets these products apart for consumers. Fun to give to a special adult in a child's life.
- Pics 'n' Props: A great, new way to shape and capture photo moments with these fun kits. Create unique memories and milestones or show dad and grandpa they're loved in a big way. Use included props to take pictures with friends and family and display your photos in the provided frame or album. Keep the fun going after the spring and summer holidays have ended and capture all of the precious everyday occasions.
- Family Tree: Hallmark's Family Tree is a creative way to showcase a family's lineage. The Family Tree proudly displays framed photographs of relatives and also provides space for new family additions.
- Looney Tunes™ Travel Mugs: Celebrate Dad or Grandpa with one of four all new travel mug designs – Marvin the Martian™, Taz™, Bugs Bunny™ or Daffy Duck™.
- Jokin' in the John Referee: It isn't Father's Day until there is a referee in the bathroom! Every time the door opens, he is ready to welcome all with nine different sayings.
- Star Wars™ Gifts: The force will be with Dad this Father's Day with the Star Wars™ gift collection, featuring the R2-D2™ Mug with Sound, Heat-Reactive Travel Mugs, Lightsaber Sentiment Plaque, Laser Sound Button with Light, Darth Vader™ and Yoda™ Bottle Openers with Sound, and coffee mugs. Darth Vader's™ Destiny Decider and the Light Saber Note Cube are sure to be hits with Dad this year.
- Hallmark Gift Books offer a variety of books for Father's Day, including:
- Recordable Conversation Books: Dads and grandpas can record conversations with the kids in their lives by asking them a series of fun, open-ended questions from the books Dad and Me and Grandpa and Me.
- Hallmark takes Father's Day seriously and offers many gifts perfect for that special man in your life. Check out the Recordable Photo Sound Button, humorous Sound Buttons, First Father's Day Frame and a variety of Mugs.
- Hallmark also offers a variety of gift bags, wrap, tissue and add-ons to make one-stop Father's Day shopping easy, as well as paper partyware to enhance the celebration.
A Babylonian youth named Elmesu carved the first known Father's Day card in clay nearly 4,000 years ago. His special message wished his father good health and a long life.
William Jackson Smart of Spokane, Wash., a man ahead of his time, is the inspiration for modern-day Father’s Day. Smart was a widower and Civil War veteran who was both father and mother to his six children for 21 years after the death of his wife. Smart’s daughter, Sonora Louise (Mrs. John Bruce Dodd), got the idea for Father’s Day in 1909 while listening to a Mother’s Day sermon at church. She encouraged local churches to institute a Father's Day observance the following year (1910) on one Sunday in June, the month of her father’s birth. Through her efforts, interest in the celebration of Father’s Day grew and spread to other cities and states.
Although many congressional resolutions proclaiming a national Father’s Day were introduced through the years, the holiday was made official in 1972 when President Richard Nixon signed a presidential resolution that declared Father’s Day as the third Sunday in June.
Available at Hallmark Gold Crown® stores nationwide and wherever Hallmark products are sold. Use the store locator on Hallmark.com to find the nearest Hallmark Gold Crown store.