Always observed on February 14
- Approximately 114 million Valentine’s Day cards are exchanged industry-wide (not including packaged kids’ valentines for classroom exchanges), making Valentine’s Day the second-largest holiday for giving greeting cards.
- In addition to the United States, Valentine’s Day is celebrated in Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom, France, Australia, Denmark, and Italy.
- Hallmark first offered Valentine’s Day cards in 1913 and began producing them in 1916.
- According to the National Retail Federation, the average person celebrating Valentine's Day spent nearly $147 in 2016.
2017 Product News
Valentine's Day Greeting Cards
- Hallmark offers more than 1,500 Valentine's Day greeting cards that meet a variety of diverse relationship needs.
- Hallmark offers the widest assortment of Valentine's Day cards in the industry including cards for romantic love, sharing a laugh with friends and love for family.
- Hallmark Gold Crown® stores offer the widest variety of traditional, elegant and contemporary cards, plus unique and innovative cards including:
- "Tell her you Love her" Hallmark Heritage Collection - Pink, white and gold colors are highlighted in premium designs featuring archival artwork which ties in with the Hallmark Heritage brand.
- "Tell him you Love him" Mike Merkle Artist Collection for Him - Letterpress styling, which features traditional seasonal colors including black and red, provides a unique way to express your love to him.
- Hallmark Signature® Influencer Collaborations - These three, unique, mini-collections each feature the work of a different artist or blogger combined with the distinctive voice of Hallmark Signature:
- Karla Taylor Artist Collection for Kids - Fun sound and eye-catching lovable characters bring this Hallmark artist Karla Taylor collection to life - the perfect way to send a Valentine hug.
- Shoebox Collection for Friends -These vintage-inspired designed cards are not anti-Valentine's Day or about being single, but are a great way to show friends you are thinking of them at Valentine's Day
- Pop-up Paper Flower Cards - Tailored and beautiful designs with rich processes are paired with endearing, true messages for a husband, wife or partner.
- Hallmark Mahogany - More than 70 unique designs for wife, husband, mother and other family and friends that help consumers celebrate and connect in an authentic voice and style that reflects African-American culture and community.
- Hallmark Vida - This collection of more than 150 Spanish language cards helps communicate the heartfelt emotion that Hispanic consumers value and want to express for Valentine's Day. The cards are appropriate for a range of relationships from young love to mature love, grandparents, friends, and children.
- A wide selection of personalized Valentine's Day cards are available on InkandMain.com. Shoppers can create the perfect Valentine's Day card for their loved ones by personalizing the text and/or adding photographs. InkandMain.com will then stamp and send the card directly to the recipient or back to the sender to hand deliver.
- Personalized classroom valentines are also available on InkandMain.com, which adds a personal touch to kids handing out valentines at school. These can feature the child's name, as well as photos.
- HallmarkEcards.com provides Valentine's Day ecards to share with friends and family, available with a subscription.
Valentine's Day Gifts
Hallmark Gold Crown stores offer a variety of Valentine's Day gifts that will bring love, laugh and smiles to the hearts of many including:
- Hallmark Signature Gifts help you celebrate the love you share with all the special people in your life, especially your girlfriends, with stylish and sophisticated framed prints, clutches, compacts and candles.
- Express love and affection with gifts that are as clever as they are cute with the Wink and a Smile gift collection. Fun wordplay and iconography are added to whimsical gift items like bottle stoppers, mugs and treasure keepers which can be given to romantic partners as well as lifelong friends.
- Perfectly paired, and made to be shared. Toe of a Kind Socks offer two non-matching, but complementary, sweet-looking designs for Valentine's Day.
- itty bittys® Clippys are the right size to clip on a backpack or belt and come in pairs so you can share or trade them with friends. For Valentine's Day choose from iconic couples like Barbie™ and Ken, Disney Frozen Anna and Kristoff and Star Wars™ R2-D2™ and C-3PO™.
- Huggable, loveable Techno Plush Characters will sing and dance their way into the heart of your loved ones.
- Love to the Max Pup - This happy pooch wants a smooch and isn't afraid to ask! Pet his head, and Max spins around, speaks, pants, and barks! Two of seven cute phrases: "Doggone it, I like you! Raise the woof!" "Whooooo wants a puppy hug? Well, come and get it!" Coordinates with the Max Speaks from the Heart book.
- Bananas for You Monkey Interactive Stuffed Animal - Go ape for this merry monkey, which flaps its arms and sings a parody of "Honey I'm Good" when you press a button.
- Crafters & Co serves up a variety of delicious and delectable treats including boxes of chocolates and milk chocolate bars.
- Other Valentine's Day gift options from Hallmark include Owen, a classic white-stuffed bear, gift books, and a Sweet on You scarf assortment.
- Valentine stickers and a variety of gift bags, wrap, tissue and add-ons makes one-stop valentine shopping easy.
According to Roman legend, during the third century, Valentinus was imprisoned for his Christian beliefs and sentenced to death. While jailed, according to legend, Valentinus restored the sight of his jailer’s blind daughter. The night before he died, Valentinus wrote a farewell note to the girl, which he signed, “From Your Valentine.” His sentence was carried out the next day, Feb. 14, 269 A.D.
Hundreds of years later in fifth century Rome, people honored Juno, the pagan goddess of love and marriage, on Feb. 14. During the celebration, men would draw women’s names and court them for marriage.
Around 498 A.D., Pope Gelasius declared Feb. 14 as St. Valentine’s Day to honor the martyr Valentinus and to end the pagan celebration.
In 1849, Esther Howland of Worcester, Mass., published the first American valentine.
In Stores and Online
Hallmark Valentine's Day cards are available at Hallmark Gold Crown® stores nationwide, online at Hallmark.com and InkandMain.com, and wherever Hallmark products are sold. Hallmark gifts for Valentine's Day are found at Hallmark Gold Crown stores. Use the store locator on Hallmark.com to find the nearest Hallmark Gold Crown store.