Always observed on February 14
- Approximately 114 million Valentine’s Day cards are exchanged industry-wide (not including packaged kids’ valentines for classroom exchanges), making Valentine’s Day the second-largest holiday for giving greeting cards.
- In addition to the United States, Valentine’s Day is celebrated in Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom, France, Australia, Denmark, and Italy.
- Hallmark first offered Valentine’s Day cards in 1913 and began producing them in 1916.
- According to the National Retail Federation, the average person celebrating Valentine's Day spent nearly $142 in 2015.
2016 Product News
Valentine's Day Greeting Cards
- Hallmark offers more than 1,300 Valentine's Day greeting cards, including 99-cent value cards, cards that meet a variety of diverse relationship needs, humor cards, Mahogany valentines for African-American consumers, and Hallmark Sinceramente designs with Spanish and bilingual messages designed for Hispanic consumers.
- Whether romantic love, love for family members or sharing a laugh with friends, Hallmark offers Valentine's Day cards for the widest range of relationships in the industry – including parents, siblings, children, spouse, partner, grandparents, and grandchildren – reflecting the changing nature of families and relationships in America.
- Hallmark Gold Crown® stores offer the widest variety of traditional, elegant and contemporary cards, plus unique and innovative cards including:
- itty bittys® Greetings – These family-friendly greetings complement the popular itty bittys® plush and deliver simple, authentic and heartfelt messages that will appeal to all ages.
- Hallmark Signature® – Fresh, modern designs are paired with sparkle, shine and unique materials in four new mini-collections that join the Hallmark Signature family. Each collection showcases the work of some of Hallmark's most unique and exciting artists.
- Flora Chang Kids Collection – Playful and happy, just like Flora Chang, the Hallmark artist who designed this collection, these fun cards are appropriate to send to a grandson or granddaughter.
- Good Together – Justin and Tuesday Artist Collection – This romantic love collection of cards features the work of Justin and Tuesday Spray, married Hallmark artists and best friends. Their work brings together diverse cultural influences with a touch of whimsy, visually reflecting their belief that relationships grow stronger with honesty, fun and affection.
- Luxe-For Him and Lace-For Her – Tailored and beautiful designs with rich processes are paired with endearing, true messages for a husband, wife or partner.
- Studio Ink – These quirky and playful designs are paired with unique and memorable sentiments of love.
- Life Is Good® – A collection of cards with short but powerful phrases and playful designs that evoke the power of simple pleasures and quiet joys are appropriate to send to anyone.
- A wide selection of personalized Valentine's Day cards are available on InkandMain.com. Shoppers can create the perfect Valentine's Day card for their loved ones by personalizing the text and/or adding photographs. InkandMain.com will then stamp and send the card directly to the recipient or back to the sender to hand deliver.
- Personalized classroom valentines are also available on InkandMain.com, which adds a personal touch to kids handing out valentines at school. These can feature the child's name, as well as photos.
- HallmarkEcards.com provides Valentine's Day ecards to share with friends and family, available with a subscription.
Valentine's Day Gifts
Hallmark Gold Crown stores offer a variety of Valentine's Day gifts that will bring love, laugh and smiles to the hearts of many including:
- These hugable, loveable Techno Plush Characters will sing and dance their way into the heart of your loved ones.
- The soothing Count On Me Bear Techno Plush brings calm magic to bedtime or any other time that needs some tender loving care. Press the button on the bear to hear a sweet version of "Count on Me"by Bruno Mars. Also available is the coordinating "You Can Count on Me" story book that tells the story in rhyme of a friendship between two bears.
- The Love-a-Saurus Techno Plush brings big love, a bigger roar and some masterful dance moves that will help shuffle his way right into someones heart. Just press the button to watch Love-a-Saurus sing and dance to a parody of "U Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer.
- Back by popular demand is the Hug-Lovin-Hippo Techno Plush. The hug-hungry hippo dances and sings, telling the world how much she loves hugs. Give her a squeeze and listen to her sing a parody of Sir Mix A Lot's song "Baby Got Back," as in "I like big hugs and I cannot lie..."
- Each of the knitted, cuddly Story Telling Plush With Personality has a short but sweet message on their tag. Elliot the Elephant, Liam the Lion, Morgan the Monkey and Zoe the Zebra are all ready with their arms open wide to snuggle up and hug and become a true friend.
- What could be more fun at Valentine's Day then adding new Dr. Seuss characters to someone's itty bittys® plush collection. Thing 1 and Thing 2, the famous characters known for flying kites in the house, have become pint-sized characters that collectors and kids will love to play with and collect.
- Additional licensed plush characters also are available that show case their special friendships and love including Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Winnie the Pooh and Piglet and Snoopy and Woodstock. Some of these characters also come with coordinating books.
- Crafters & Co serves up a variety of delicious and delectable treats including boxes of chocolates, milk chocolate bars and heart-shaped lollipops.
- Other Valentine's Day gift options from Hallmark include a Wrapped in Love scarf assortment, oversized mugs, stationery, jewelry and gift books.
- Valentine stickers and a variety of gift bags, wrap, tissue and add-ons makes one-stop valentine shopping easy.
According to Roman legend, during the third century, Valentinus was imprisoned for his Christian beliefs and sentenced to death. While jailed, according to legend, Valentinus restored the sight of his jailer’s blind daughter. The night before he died, Valentinus wrote a farewell note to the girl, which he signed, “From Your Valentine.” His sentence was carried out the next day, Feb. 14, 269 A.D.
Hundreds of years later in fifth century Rome, people honored Juno, the pagan goddess of love and marriage, on Feb. 14. During the celebration, men would draw women’s names and court them for marriage.
Around 498 A.D., Pope Gelasius declared Feb. 14 as St. Valentine’s Day to honor the martyr Valentinus and to end the pagan celebration.
In 1849, Esther Howland of Worcester, Mass., published the first American valentine.
In Stores and Online
Hallmark Valentine's Day cards are available at Hallmark Gold Crown® stores nationwide, online at Hallmark.com and InkandMain.com, and wherever Hallmark products are sold. Hallmark gifts for Valentine's Day are found at Hallmark Gold Crown stores. Use the store locator on Hallmark.com to find the nearest Hallmark Gold Crown store.