Always observed on February 14
- Approximately 132 million Valentine’s Day cards are exchanged industry-wide (not including packaged kids’ valentines for classroom exchanges), making Valentine’s Day the second-largest holiday for giving greeting cards.
- In addition to the United States, Valentine’s Day is celebrated in Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom, France, Australia, Denmark, and Italy.
- Hallmark first offered Valentine’s Day cards in 1913 and began producing them in 1916.
- According to the National Retail Federation, the average person celebrating Valentine's Day spent nearly $134 in 2014.
2015 Product News
Valentine's Day Greeting Cards
- Hallmark offers more than 1,300 Valentine's Day greeting cards, including 99-cent value cards, cards that meet a variety of diverse relationship needs, humor cards, Mahogany valentines for African-American consumers, and Hallmark Sinceramente designs with Spanish and bilingual messages designed for Hispanic consumers.
- Whether romantic love, love for family members or sharing a laugh with friends, Hallmark offers Valentine's Day cards for the widest range of relationships in the industry – including parents, siblings, children, spouse, partner, grandparents, and grandchildren – reflecting the changing nature of families and relationships in America.
- Hallmark Gold Crown® stores offer the widest variety of traditional, elegant and contemporary cards, plus unique and innovative cards including:
- Sarah Jessica Parker Collection: This collection of fresh, feminine and fabulous Valentine's Day cards were created in partnership with one of the world's most well-loved fashion icons. The cards have simple, authentic and heartfelt messages and feature unique patterns, illustrations and lettering with just the right amount of sparkle and shine.
- Hallmark Signature Collection: Fresh, modern designs are paired with fun, easy-to-send messages perfect for sharing love this Valentine's Day. Unique materials like sprinkles, sequins, wood and more offer one-of-a-kind cards for one-of-a-kind relationships.
- Love Collection: This collection of cards recognizes all types of relationships including newly dating, cohabitation and first Valentine's Day together, and reflects real life with heartfelt and honest prose. Touches like stitching, buttons and paper attachments add a little something special.
- Furry Friends: The candid pet photos on this new collection of cards are combined with fun processes like foil and flitter to help connect with the kids in your life with laughter and remind them that they are loved.
- Truly Thankful: These new cards let the important people in your life like teachers, caregivers, coaches and volunteers know that you are thankful for them and they are loved. The messages are casual and caring and express love and appreciation.
- For Him and Her: Cards for husbands, wives, boyfriend, girlfriend and the one I love, celebrate romance and commitment with casual, honest and simply stated messages.
- Studio Ink: Simple, lighthearted, and often funny, these cards help a younger generation authentically share who they are with the people who matter to them. Cards are available for both romantic and non-romantic relationships.
- Personalized Valentine's Day greeting cards are available on Hallmark.com. The sender can create the perfect Valentine's Day card by personalizing the text and adding photographs. Hallmark.com will then stamp and send the card directly to the recipient or back to the sender to hand deliver.
- Hallmark.com offers several premium card formats including Storytelling Trifold photo cards with room for multiple photos to tell a story. These accordion-folded cards provide lots of design and layout options.
- Hallmark.com also provides cards featuring laser die-cuts, metallic and foil processes, and premium papers.
- There are also 33 different designs of personalized classroom valentines, which add a personal touch to kids handing out valentines at school. These can feature the sender's and/or recipient's name, as well as photos.
- HallmarkEcards.com provides Valentine's Day ecards to share with friends and family, available with a subscription.
Valentine's Day Gifts
Hallmark Gold Crown stores offer a variety of Valentine's Day gifts including singing and dancing stuffed animals, and Hallmark Confections premium chocolates. Valentine gifts such as photo frames, gift books, storybooks, music boxes, pendants, light-hearted gifts, and mugs also are available at Hallmark Gold Crown stores.
- The hug-hungry Hug Lovin' Hippo dances and sings, telling the world how much she loves hugs. Give her a squeeze and listen to her sing a parody of Sir Mix A Lot's song "Baby Got Back," as in "I like big hugs and I cannot lie..." A coordinating book, It's Hug Time! features Hug Lovin' Hippo as the main character.
- Give your sweetie a treat with Stuck on Your Porcupine who is soft, not prickly, and oh-so-sweet. This spiny character serenades your Valentine with a clever parody of Sugarland's song "Stuck Like Glue."
- The Love You! Pup Techno Plush will melt hearts with his endearing and entertaining song about puppy love.
- Parents and grandparents will enjoy the together time experience that Penny Paperheart brings. This little paper girl with her paper hearts is designed to inspire imaginative play and instill the power of goodwill with her Hearts of Kindness Kit, Mini Playsets and companion books.
- Celebrate the 65th anniversary of the classic movie Lady & the Tramp by introducing a new generation to this timeless love story with Doggone Sweet Lady and the Tramp plush animals and the coordinating book.
- Hallmark has added several new characters to the itty bittys® line of pint-sized (4 inches tall) plush characters that collectors and kids love to play with and collect. Three limited-edition Valentine's Day designs – Hug Lovin' Hippo, Lady, and the Tramp – join the regular lineup.
- Additional licensed plush characters also are available, including Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Snoopy, Pepe Le Pew and the Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz. Some of these also feature sound and/or movement.
- Hallmark Confections serves up a variety of delicious and delectable treats including champagne truffles, sea salt caramels, boxes of chocolates and heart-shaped lollipops.
- Other Valentine's Day gift options from Hallmark include mugs, stationery, jewelry and gift books.
- Valentine partyware for home, school and office, plus stickers and a variety of gift bags, wrap, tissue and add-ons makes one-stop valentine shopping easy.
According to Roman legend, during the third century, Valentinus was imprisoned for his Christian beliefs and sentenced to death. While jailed, according to legend, Valentinus restored the sight of his jailer’s blind daughter. The night before he died, Valentinus wrote a farewell note to the girl, which he signed, “From Your Valentine.” His sentence was carried out the next day, Feb. 14, 269 A.D.
Hundreds of years later in fifth century Rome, people honored Juno, the pagan goddess of love and marriage, on Feb. 14. During the celebration, men would draw women’s names and court them for marriage.
Around 498 A.D., Pope Gelasius declared Feb. 14 as St. Valentine’s Day to honor the martyr Valentinus and to end the pagan celebration.
In 1849, Esther Howland of Worcester, Mass., published the first American valentine.
Hallmark Valentine's Day cards are available at Hallmark Gold Crown® stores nationwide and wherever Hallmark products are sold. Hallmark gifts for Valentine's Day are found at Hallmark Gold Crown stores. Use the store locator on Hallmark.com to find the nearest Hallmark Gold Crown store.