National Boss Day
Always observed October 16
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics research indicates that about one in five full-time workers has some level of supervisory responsibility over other employees, and about 12 percent of all full-time workers are directly responsible for managing other employees.
- Workplace surveys confirm that one of the most important elements of job satisfaction is a positive relationship between a supervisor and employee.
- Although National Boss Day began in 1958, Hallmark first produced Boss Day cards in 1979.
2012 Product Features
- Hallmark offers about 75 National Boss Day cards. Card prices begin at 99 cents.
- Cards range in tone from formal to humorous, and many express appreciation. New messages tend to be more authentic and “true to life,” while designs feature more illustrations and photography.
- Cards With Sound feature titles such as “Takin’ Care of Business” by Bachman Turner Overdrive. Another Card With Sound pops up into a displayable trophy, featuring the popular Hallmark characters, hoops&yoyo.
- Hallmark also offers Big Time Sound cards for Boss Day. The large-size cards have special speakers to provide high-quality sound, including an audio clip from hoops&yoyo and the musical theme to The Twilight Zone.
- Designs and messages appropriate for both men and women are available, as are cards for a work group to present collectively.
- Hallmark offers gifts appropriate for National Boss Day as well as many gift wrap options.
- Hallmark.com also provides a selection of e-cards and paper cards that can be personalized with photos and messages online and mailed directly to recipients.
National Boss Day began in 1958 when Patricia Bays Haroski, then an employee at State Farm Insurance Company in Deerfield, Ill., registered the holiday with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Ms. Haroski chose Oct. 16, her father’s birthday, as the date for National Boss Day because she felt he was an exemplary boss.
National Boss Day has become an international celebration in recent years and now is observed in countries such as England, Australia and South Africa.
Available at Hallmark Gold Crown® stores nationwide and wherever Hallmark products are sold. Use the store locator on Hallmark.com to find the nearest Hallmark Gold Crown store.