May 11, 2014 in the U.S.
- Mother’s Day is always the second Sunday in May.
- Mother’s Day is the third-largest card-sending holiday in the United States, with 133 million cards exchanged annually.
- Mother's Day is the largest card-sending holiday for the Hispanic community. Depending on the country, Mother's Day is celebrated on many different days throughout the year. In Mexico, it is always celebrated May 10.
- Mother’s Day is the second most popular holiday for gift-giving, following Christmas.
- Mother’s Day is observed across a wide range of relationships. In addition to mothers, grandmothers and wives, the celebration extends to daughters, sisters, aunts, mothers of loved ones, friends, and any others who play a mother-like role.
- Hallmark began creating and producing Mother’s Day cards in the early 1920s.
2013 Product Features
Mother's Day Cards
- Hallmark offers 1,350 cards for Mother's Day, including Hallmark Signature Collection cards, Hallmark Mahogany cards for African-American consumers, and Hallmark Sinceramente designs for Hispanic consumers.
- Card prices range from 99 cents to $9.99.
- Hallmark Gold Crown® stores offer the widest variety of unique and innovative cards including:
- The Hallmark Signature Collection features 72 sophisticated, stylish designs with simple, just right messages. Each is handcrafted with beautiful papers, rich textures and appealing embellishments. These cards will surprise and delight Mom with their elegance and intricate details.
- New Magic Prints greeting cards come with a mess-free Crayola® magic solution, so kids can add a personal touch – their handprint – to 18 specially designed cards.
- Card Presenters (upscale envelopes) feature beautifully designed envelopes with foils, attachments, laser die-cuts and more that coordinate with an elegant card and enhance the card-giving experience, creating a beautiful package to deliver to Mom.
- The 12 designs of Simply Motherhood cards showcase fresh photography paired with simply stated, warm messages.
- Hallmark Sinceramente offers more than 300 Mother's Day cards designed for consumers from the broad range of Hispanic cultures represented in the United States, Mexico and Puerto Rico. All of the cards are written in Spanish and feature English translations on the backs. A new Premium Collection features six designs with special processes and attachments that make the cards extra special for Mom.
- Hallmark Mahogany provides more than 125 cards for Mother's Day, including a variety of designs for key recipients such as mother, grandmother, aunt, wife, sister, and daughter, as well as general wish cards appropriate for anyone. Mahogany cards feature culturally-relevant designs and heartwarming sentiments that help African-American consumers honor Mom and other special women in their lives.
- Hallmark.com offers more than 100 personalized cards for Mother's Day. By using the Hallmark.com service, the sender can choose to upload photos and create personal messages to be featured in a greeting card. Hallmark's sentiment library also provides inspiration and help for crafting the perfect message to Mom. Hallmark.com will then address, stamp and mail these custom Mother's Day cards to the sender or recipient.
See the 2013 Mother's Day Cards fact sheet for more info on Hallmark cards.
Mother's Day Gifts
- Hallmark Gold Crown® Mother's Day gifts focus on a strong consumer need identified by Hallmark research – the need to show Mom or Grandma that she is loved and appreciated for who she is with unique, meaningful, memorable products. Many Hallmark gifts can be customized especially for Mom or Grandma, capturing moments that become cherished memories to remind her of how much she's loved.
- Hallmark Gold Crown® stores offer the widest variety of unique and innovative gifts including:
- Magic Prints — This new line of 14 personalized gifts comes with a mess-free Crayola® magic solution, so kids can add a personal touch – their handprint – to specially designed frames and gifts. It's a wonderful way for kids to get involved in gift giving and show appreciation for Mom or Grandma.
- When a child uses the Magic Mitt applicator and places a hand on the paper, their handprint appears, revealing a colorful pattern or message within the handprint.
- One-of-a-Kind Creations Gifts — Hallmark partners with Shutterfly on a new way to create unique, personalized gifts for Mom and Grandma. For Mother's Day, there are several appropriate designs including die-cut word frames that read "Mom," "Love" or "Home." Two different Family Tree designs showcase family photos, and other designs feature personal photos with a monogram, silhouette or sentiment about family life. Here's how it works:
- Select a One-of-a-Kind Creations photo gift or frame at a Hallmark Gold Crown store.
- Go to the www.shutterfly.com web address provided on the package to access templates for the gift or frame. The consumer can upload new photos or access photos already stored in their Shutterfly account.
- Redeem the two promotion codes included with the product for: 1) free printing of photos for frame and 2) free shipping to the consumer's home.
- Pics 'n' Props — Hallmark introduces a new way to add creativity and fun to family photos. Pics ‘n' Props themed kits include props to help create special moments and make picture-taking more fun. The kit also includes a frame or album to preserve and display the photos.
- For Mother's Day, kids can pose with props – such as hearts with "We Love Mom" or "We Love Grandma" – while someone snaps a photo.
- Print the photos and put them in the coordinating frame or photo album included in the kit for a one-of-a-kind gift.
- A new batch of Blooming Expressions™ flowers have popped up to honor Mom or Grandma at Mother's Day. The stunning red, pink, lavender and yellow blooms are showcased in a beautiful vase – press a button and watch the blooms unfold to reveal a heartfelt sentiment. Choose from nine designs – each featuring a ribbon and a glittery heart or butterfly inside. Three designs, available exclusively at Hallmark Gold Crown stores, feature music.
See the 2013 Mother's Day Gifts fact sheet for more info on Hallmark gifts.
Anna M. Jarvis, born in 1864 in Webster, Va., is credited as the force behind Mother's Day. When Jarvis was 41 years old, her mother died. On the second anniversary of her mother's death (the second Sunday in May 1908), Jarvis made public her plans to establish a day to honor mothers.
Other sources report "mother's day" church services on May 10, 1908, in Grafton, W. Va., and a celebration of mothers at the Wannamaker Auditorium in Philadelphia, Pa., on the same day.
The observance became official in 1914.
Available at Hallmark Gold Crown® stores nationwide and wherever Hallmark products are sold. Use the store locator on Hallmark.com to find the nearest Hallmark Gold Crown store.