Always celebrated the second Sunday of May in the U.S.
- Mother’s Day is always the second Sunday in May.
- Mother’s Day is the third-largest card-sending holiday in the United States, with 113 million cards exchanged annually.
- Almost 85% of adult men and women celebrate Mother’s Day.
- Mother's Day is the largest card-sending holiday for the Hispanic community. Depending on the country, Mother's Day is celebrated on many different days throughout the year. In Mexico, it is always celebrated May 10.
- Mother’s Day is the second most popular holiday for gift-giving, following Christmas.
- Hallmark began creating and producing Mother’s Day cards in the early 1920s.
2017 Product Features
Mother's Day Cards
- This year, the Hallmark Mother's Day card collection includes more than 1,000 designs that address the range and relevance of today's modern Moms and families.
- Card prices range from 99 cents to $9.99.
- Hallmark Gold Crown® stores offer the widest variety of unique and innovative cards and collections including:
- The Catalina Estrada Family Collection and Mom Collection celebrate the many colors of Mom through vibrant and inspiring designs. The cheerful cards are multi-culturally relevant and available for Mom, sister, daughter and Grandmother.
- High-quality, beautifully crafted greetings inspired by the Hallmark archives are highlighted in the Hallmark Heritage Collection of cards for Mom or anyone.
- Co-created with some of today's most popular designers, bloggers and style influencers, the four 4-card Signature Collection Designer Collaborations are the perfect way to celebrate modern motherhood with style.
- The Anthem Song Card Collection features celebratory cards with clear, warm and fun messages celebrating Mom and surprisingly perfect music clips inside.
- Hallmark Vida offers 200 Mother's Day cards designed for consumers from the broad range of Hispanic cultures represented in the United States, Mexico and Puerto Rico. The warm-yet-conversational tone honors all that Hispanics hold dear about motherhood. All of the cards are written in Spanish and feature English translations on the backs.
- Hallmark Mahogany provides 107 cards for Mother's Day, including a variety of designs for key recipients such as mother, grandmother, aunt, wife, sister, and daughter, as well as general wish cards appropriate for anyone. Mahogany cards feature culturally-relevant designs and heartwarming sentiments that help African-American consumers honor Mom and other special women in their lives.
- InkandMain.com offers a range of Mother's Day greeting cards which consumers can customize with their own messages and photos. InkandMain.com will address, stamp and mail the cards directly to the recipient for just the cost of postage.
- HallmarkEcards.com provides Mother's Day ecards to share with friends and family, available with a subscription.
Cards for All Moms
- Consumers tell Hallmark that any women who are raising and supporting children are deserving of recognition, respect, affection and appreciation - at Mother's Day and any time.
- In addition to mom, wife and grandma, Hallmark offers Mother's Day cards for close family members such as daughter, granddaughter, mother-in-law, aunt and sister. Plus Hallmark creates cards for hard-to-find situations such as birthday, foreign language, caregiver, goddaughter and cousin.
- Hallmark cards offer special wishes for those celebrating their First Mother's Day as well as cards for expectant moms. Cards also exist to meet the needs of today's complex family relationships - stepmother, two moms, partner, former in-laws, dad-as-mom, dad's wife, birth mother, mother of my child, and anyone who is "like a mother."
Mother's Day Gifts
Hallmark Gold Crown® Mother's Day gift collections are simple, authentic, relatable and feature heartfelt messages and sentiments that let Mom or Grandma know that she is the heart of the home.
• Catalina Estrada for Hallmark Gold Crown® - The vibrant colors and beautiful design of Colombian illustrator Catalina Estrada is perfectly suited to celebrate Mother's Day and the arrival of spring. The collection includes umbrellas, cuff bracelets, mugs, frames and other personal accessories.
• Crafters & Co. Bath & Body - Luxurious foaming bath salts, shower bursts, hand creams, lip balms, soaps and candles in a variety of scents make up this collection that stands out with its premium ingredients and heightened attention to detail. All small indulgences that create big experiences for the recipient.
• Crafters and Co. Tea Timing - This tea collection mixes classic favorites with a nice touch of freshness. Pair a handcrafted, certified-organic tea with beautiful ceramic infuser for a delightful tea experience.
• Siply Fabulous - Enjoy Mother's Day or one of life's many occasions with this gorgeous collection of artistically designed wineglasses and matching beverage napkins.
• Stylish Statements - Simple truths and optimistic mantras that inspire, affirm and empower are highlighted in a variety of prints. Made to be shared with important women in your life, each print can sit or hang, and comes with a beautiful gold-finish frame and easel back.
• Angel Blessings - Hallmark artist Joanne Eschrich brings her faith and inspiration to a variety of finely sculpted angel figurines with inspiring messages for Mom, Grandma and more.
• Letters of Expression - Hallmark artist Stephen Carter designed this assortment of initial tea towels, mugs and ceramic letters that inspire creativity and personalization.
• Hallmark Gift Books offers titles that make great gifts for Mother's Day, including books for mom, grandma and daughter like The Louder the Kids, the Bigger the Wineglass: You're Loved Mom: A Few Reasons Why and Being a Grandma's a Marvelous Thing!
• Hallmark offers gift bags, including 'ready-to-go' bags, rolls of wrapping paper and gift card holders - along with coordinating tissues and gift trims an - in springtime patterns and bright colors perfect for Mother's Day.
Anna M. Jarvis, born in 1864 in Webster, Va., is credited as the force behind Mother's Day. When Jarvis was 41 years old, her mother died. On the second anniversary of her mother's death (the second Sunday in May 1908), Jarvis made public her plans to establish a day to honor mothers.
Other sources report "mother's day" church services on May 10, 1908, in Grafton, W. Va., and a celebration of mothers at the Wannamaker Auditorium in Philadelphia, Pa., on the same day.
The observance became official in 1914 when President Woodrow Wilson signed a proclamation naming the second Sunday of May as a day for "public expression of our love and reverence for the mothers of our country." 2014 marks the 100th anniversary of Mother's Day.
In Stores & Online
Available at Hallmark Gold Crown® stores nationwide, online at InkandMain.com, Hallmark.com, and wherever Hallmark products are sold. Use the store locator on Hallmark.com to find the nearest Hallmark Gold Crown store.