May 11, 2014 in the U.S.
- Mother’s Day is always the second Sunday in May.
- Mother’s Day is the third-largest card-sending holiday in the United States, with 133 million cards exchanged annually.
- 2014 is the 100th anniversary of Mother's Day.
- Almost 85% of adult men and women celebrate Mother’s Day.
- Mother's Day is the largest card-sending holiday for the Hispanic community. Depending on the country, Mother's Day is celebrated on many different days throughout the year. In Mexico, it is always celebrated May 10.
- Mother’s Day is the second most popular holiday for gift-giving, following Christmas.
- Hallmark began creating and producing Mother’s Day cards in the early 1920s.
2014 Product Features
Mother's Day Cards
- This year, the Hallmark Mother's Day card collection includes 900 designs featuring fresh photography, fashionable designs, simple statements as well as Spanish-language cards and cards for African-American consumers.
- Card prices range from 99 cents to $9.99.
- Hallmark Gold Crown® stores offer the widest variety of unique and innovative cards including:
- Show love and support for that special woman with a card from the Wife, Mom or Grandma Collection. Each collection has 10 cards and includes formats like card presenters and gift card holders.
- The Hallmark Signature Collection features 54 sophisticated, stylish designs with simple, just right messages. Each is handcrafted with beautiful papers, rich textures and appealing embellishments. These cards will surprise and delight Mom with their elegance and intricate details.
- The 12 fashionable, feminine and fabulous Mother's Day cards in the new Sarah Jessica Parker Collection combine vintage images with modern touches and embellishments.
- Ten Magic Prints greeting cards just for Mom and Grandma come with a mess-free Crayola® magic solution, so kids can add a personal touch like a handprint or, new this year, a footprint, to specially designed cards. Magic Prints cards use a clear, non-toxic solution that shows up only on the specially formulated paper. When a child uses the Magic Mitt applicator and places their hand on the card, their handprint appears, revealing a colorful pattern or message. It's a mess-free, stress-free way to add a child's personal touch for Mom's card.
- The 12 designs of Simply Motherhood cards showcase fresh photography paired with simply stated, warm messages.
- The eight new designs from Hallmark's partnership with Life is good® feature simple graphic designs encouraging Mom to relax and enjoy her day.
- Hallmark Sinceramente offers more than 200 Mother's Day cards designed for consumers from the broad range of Hispanic cultures represented in the United States, Mexico and Puerto Rico. All of the cards are written in Spanish and feature English translations on the backs.
- Hallmark Mahogany provides 104 cards for Mother's Day, including a variety of designs for key recipients such as mother, grandmother, aunt, wife, sister, and daughter, as well as general wish cards appropriate for anyone. Mahogany cards feature culturally-relevant designs and heartwarming sentiments that help African-American consumers honor Mom and other special women in their lives.
- Hallmark.com offers more than 287 personalized cards for Mother's Day. By using the Hallmark.com service, the sender can choose to upload photos and create personal messages to be featured in a greeting card. Hallmark's sentiment library also provides inspiration and help for crafting the perfect message to Mom. Hallmark.com will then address, stamp and mail these custom Mother's Day cards to the sender or recipient. A range of cards feature premium paper, foil, metallic shimmer, or magnetic paper.
- For tech-savvy shoppers, the Hallmark Go Cards app helps consumers stay in touch on the go with this free app for iOS, Windows 8 and Intel devices. Consumers can select, personalize and send a paper greeting card from their devices anytime and from anywhere. Edit messages, add photos and import contacts, write with a finger on the screen of the device to add a signature, then press send, and for $3.49 a paper card will be delivered to the recipient.
Cards for All Moms
- Consumers tell Hallmark that any women who are raising and supporting children are deserving of recognition, respect, affection and appreciation - at Mother's Day and any time.
- In addition to mom, wife and grandma, Hallmark offers Mother's Day cards for close family members such as daughter, granddaughter, mother-in-law, aunt and sister. Plus Hallmark creates cards for hard-to-find situations such as birthday, foreign language, caregiver, goddaughter and cousin.
- Hallmark cards offer special wishes for those celebrating their First Mother's Day as well as cards for expectant moms.
Cards also exist to meet the needs of today's complex family relationships - stepmother, two moms, partner, former in-laws, dads-as-moms, dad's wife, birth mother, mother of my child, and anyone who is "like a mother."
Mother's Day Gifts
- Hallmark Gold Crown Mother's Day gifts focus on the need to show Mom or Grandma that she is loved and appreciated and to help her celebrate and cherish memories with unique, meaningful, memorable products. Many Hallmark gifts can be customized and personalized to help capture the moments that become treasured memories.
- Hallmark Gold Crown stores offer the widest variety of unique and innovative gifts including:
- Customly Yours - Three simple steps are all it takes to create a one-of-a-kind gift that includes personal words, thoughts and messages. First, select a frame at Hallmark Gold Crown stores. Visit Hallmark.com/CustomlyYours and use the access code found on the purchased product to begin creating. Prompts and idea starters are provided. Upon completion a custom, laser-cut insert for the frame is shipped at no additional charge.
- Memory-Keeping - Hallmark has a host of ideas and gifts to help Mom and Grandma commemorate and capture special memories.
- Generations Family Tree Photo Display - A new take on the family tree, this tree holds four photo frames and is the perfect way to showcase mom with the kids, grandma with the grandkids or all of the generations together.
- Recordable Photo Cube - Turn the cube to one of the six photos and listen to the coordinating recording.
- Snippets and Stories - A beautifully bound album that has a handmade look and feel, this is a casual and informal way to capture important memories.
- Kitchen Helpers - Passing kitchen memories down through generations is made easier with Hallmark items including a Sentiment Platter, Heirloom Recipe Display Holder, Recipe Book Gift Set, Snippet and Stories Recipe Book Organizer, Nesting Bowls and Measuring Sets and a Cookie Press Set.
- Magic Prints - This line of personalized gifts comes with a mess-free Crayola® magic solution, so kids can add a personal touch - their handprint or, new this year, their footprint - to specially designed gifts. It's a wonderful way for kids to get involved in gift-giving and show appreciation for Mom or Grandma. The Magic Prints line features 14 gift items, including shadow box frames, designed frames, magnet frames and travel tumblers. For families with multiple children, there is a four-panel booklet frame with room for multiple handprints. When a child uses the Magic Mitt applicator and places a hand on the paper, their handprint or footprint appears, revealing a colorful pattern or message. (Each gift comes with two sheets of the Magic Prints paper, just in case an extra one is needed.) Magic Prints gifts use a clear, non-toxic solution that shows up only on the specially formulated paper. It's a mess-free, stress-free way to add a child's handprint, footprint (or even a pet's paw print) as a personal touch for a meaningful gift.
- Shutterfly Gifts - Eye-catching, die-cut frames hold a customized print offering a unique gift. For Mother's Day, there are several appropriate designs including word frames that read "Mom," "Love" or "Home."
- Pics ‘n' Props - A fun way to add creativity to family photos. Pics ‘n' Props themed kits include props to help create special moments and make picture-taking more fun. The kit also includes a frame or album to preserve and display the photo For Mother's Day, the new "We Love You Because" Pics ‘n' Props Kit comes with a chalkboard, chalk and a frame. Kids can pose with a personalized message while someone snaps a photo. Print the photos and put them in the coordinating frame or photo album included in the kit for a one-of-a-kind gift.
- Surprise her with flowers that never wilt. Lift the top off a box of Suddenly Flowers and watch a decorative gift box bloom into a beautiful bouquet of carefully crafted flowers blooms with a special message inside. Choose the large Suddenly Flowers appropriate for Mom or that special woman, or one of the four mini-flowers bouquets sure to brighten someone's day over and over again.
- An unforgettable moment is created with Magic Message Reveal gifts. Each time the Angel or Heart Magic Reveal is held, a message of love is appears in a crystal-clear window. For an extra special surprise a small gift or additional message can be added inside.
- Hallmark Gift Books offers five titles that make great gifts for Mother's Day, including two books designed so consumers can write in their own family memories and stories - A Mother's Legacy and A Grandparent's Legacy. Plus, the first book created by Hallmark contest winners debuts, called Thanks, Mom: Letters, Poems and Short Stories of Gratitude.
- Fresh and colorful stationery designs make a great gift for Mom or Grandma, and Hallmark Gold Crown stores offer a variety of options, including journals, list pads and purse notes.
- Hallmark Gold Crown stores also offer a variety of sweet treats, candles, mugs, stuffed animals and other gift items appropriate for Mother's Day.
- Hallmark offers gift bags and rolls of wrapping paper - along with coordinating ribbons, tissues and gift trims - in springtime patterns and bright colors perfect for Mother's Day.
Anna M. Jarvis, born in 1864 in Webster, Va., is credited as the force behind Mother's Day. When Jarvis was 41 years old, her mother died. On the second anniversary of her mother's death (the second Sunday in May 1908), Jarvis made public her plans to establish a day to honor mothers.
Other sources report "mother's day" church services on May 10, 1908, in Grafton, W. Va., and a celebration of mothers at the Wannamaker Auditorium in Philadelphia, Pa., on the same day.
The observance became official in 1914 when Woodrow Wilson signed a proclamation naming the second Sunday of May as a day for ‘public expression of our love and reverence for the mothers of our country.
Available at Hallmark Gold Crown® stores nationwide and wherever Hallmark products are sold. Use the store locator on Hallmark.com to find the nearest Hallmark Gold Crown store.