Always celebrated the second Sunday of May in the U.S.
- Mother’s Day is always the second Sunday in May.
- Mother’s Day is the third-largest card-sending holiday in the United States, with 118 million cards exchanged annually.
- Almost 85% of adult men and women celebrate Mother’s Day.
- Mother's Day is the largest card-sending holiday for the Hispanic community. Depending on the country, Mother's Day is celebrated on many different days throughout the year. In Mexico, it is always celebrated May 10.
- Mother’s Day is the second most popular holiday for gift-giving, following Christmas.
- Hallmark began creating and producing Mother’s Day cards in the early 1920s.
2016 Product Features
Mother's Day Cards
- This year, the Hallmark Mother's Day card collection includes more than 1,100 designs that address the range and relevance of today's modern Moms and families.
- Card prices range from 47 cents to $9.99.
- Hallmark Gold Crown® stores offer the widest variety of unique and innovative cards including:'
- The For the Love of Your Life collection of cards feature chic and stylish cards that recognize the importance of your significant other within the family and how much she means to you.
- Simple and heartfelt messages are combined with the delicate artwork of Hallmark artist Kim Mallory in the For Your Family and For Your Mom collections.
- Co-created with some of today's most popular designers, bloggers and style influencers, the four 4-card Signature Collection Designer Collaborations are the perfect way to celebrate modern motherhood with style.
- Fleeting Moments, Forever Memories feature sketches by Hallmark artist Ken Sheldon that highlight the nurturing and love provided by motherhood and family.
- The 8 designs from Hallmark's partnership with Life is good® feature playful designs and sentiments encouraging Mom to relax and enjoy her day.
- Truly Thankful offers soft, serene images and photography paired with simple, sincere messages to express gratitude for every type of Mom including birth mother, like a mom and mother of my child.
- Hallmark Vida offers 200 Mother's Day cards designed for consumers from the broad range of Hispanic cultures represented in the United States, Mexico and Puerto Rico. The warm-yet-conversational tone honors all that Hispanics hold dear about motherhood. All of the cards are written in Spanish and feature English translations on the backs.
- Hallmark Mahogany provides 105 cards for Mother's Day, including a variety of designs for key recipients such as mother, grandmother, aunt, wife, sister, and daughter, as well as general wish cards appropriate for anyone. Mahogany cards feature culturally-relevant designs and heartwarming sentiments that help African-American consumers honor Mom and other special women in their lives.
- InkandMain.com offers a range of Mother's Day greeting cards which consumers can customize with their own messages and photos. InkandMain.com will address, stamp and mail the cards directly to the recipient for just the cost of postage.
- HallmarkEcards.com provides Mother's Day ecards to share with friends and family, available with a subscription.
Cards for All Moms
- Consumers tell Hallmark that any women who are raising and supporting children are deserving of recognition, respect, affection and appreciation - at Mother's Day and any time.
- In addition to mom, wife and grandma, Hallmark offers Mother's Day cards for close family members such as daughter, granddaughter, mother-in-law, aunt and sister. Plus Hallmark creates cards for hard-to-find situations such as birthday, foreign language, caregiver, goddaughter and cousin.
- Hallmark cards offer special wishes for those celebrating their First Mother's Day as well as cards for expectant moms. Cards also exist to meet the needs of today's complex family relationships - stepmother, two moms, partner, former in-laws, dad-as-mom, dad's wife, birth mother, mother of my child, and anyone who is "like a mother."
Mother's Day Gifts
Hallmark Gold Crown® Mother's Day gifts are simple, authentic, relatable and feature heartfelt messages and sentiments that let Mom or Grandma know that she is the heart of the home.
• Help mom put the multitasking on hold and drink in some peace at tea time with a serene Teapot and Tea Cup and Saucer sets.
• There's a Mug available for any mom all Moms in your life including Mom, Mamá, Grandma, Abuela, Aunt and Nana.
• Perfect For Her Tea Towels feature heartfelt messages and sentiments for Mom or Grandma.
• Help capture moments, memories and relationships with a variety of Frames including handcrafted styles, frames for Mom, Nana, Grandma and one for First Mother's Day.
• The new Gardenfair collection helps find the magic in the everyday and discover the wonders of the surrounding world with an assortment of Fairy Figurines, Garden Décor and Accessories.
• Capture mom's experiences with Framed Sentiments offering messages that reflect her reality.
• Mom will love the bright colors and delightful designs of the Wrapped Up in Spring Scarf Assortment.
• Let Mom know her super powers don't go unnoticed with a collectible DC Comics™ Wonder Woman itty bittys® or give her one of her classic favorites like Ariel from Disney's The Little Mermaid or Classic Rainbow Brite.™
• Hallmark Gift Books offers titles that make great gifts for Mother's Day, including books for mom, grandma and daughter like The Louder the Kids, the Bigger the Wineglass: Thoughts on Modern Motherhood, My Mom, My Friend and Memories and Messages From a Grandparent.
• Hallmark Gold Crown stores also offer a variety of jewelry, magnets, key chains, candles, sweet treats and other gift items appropriate for Mother's Day.
• Hallmark offers gift bags, including 'ready-to-go' bags, rolls of wrapping paper and gift card holders - along with coordinating tissues and gift trims an - in springtime patterns and bright colors perfect for Mother's Day.
Anna M. Jarvis, born in 1864 in Webster, Va., is credited as the force behind Mother's Day. When Jarvis was 41 years old, her mother died. On the second anniversary of her mother's death (the second Sunday in May 1908), Jarvis made public her plans to establish a day to honor mothers.
Other sources report "mother's day" church services on May 10, 1908, in Grafton, W. Va., and a celebration of mothers at the Wannamaker Auditorium in Philadelphia, Pa., on the same day.
The observance became official in 1914 when President Woodrow Wilson signed a proclamation naming the second Sunday of May as a day for "public expression of our love and reverence for the mothers of our country." 2014 marks the 100th anniversary of Mother's Day.
In Stores & Online
Available at Hallmark Gold Crown® stores nationwide, online at InkandMain.com, Hallmark.com, and wherever Hallmark products are sold. Use the store locator on Hallmark.com to find the nearest Hallmark Gold Crown store.