May 10, 2015 in the U.S.
- Mother’s Day is always the second Sunday in May.
- Mother’s Day is the third-largest card-sending holiday in the United States, with 120 million cards exchanged annually.
- Almost 85% of adult men and women celebrate Mother’s Day.
- Mother's Day is the largest card-sending holiday for the Hispanic community. Depending on the country, Mother's Day is celebrated on many different days throughout the year. In Mexico, it is always celebrated May 10.
- Mother’s Day is the second most popular holiday for gift-giving, following Christmas.
- Hallmark began creating and producing Mother’s Day cards in the early 1920s.
2015 Product Features
Mother's Day Cards
- This year, the Hallmark Mother's Day card collection includes 900 designs featuring fresh photography, fashionable designs, simple statements as well as Spanish-language cards and cards for African-American consumers.
- Card prices range from 99 cents to $9.99.
- Hallmark Gold Crown® stores offer the widest variety of unique and innovative cards including:
- The Love In Bloom Collection of cards offers touching and romantic sentiments that express to your significant other how loved she is and how much she means to you.
- Heartfelt messages for Mom and Grandma are mixed with handcrafted and charming card designs in the Blue By You - Mom and Grandma Collection.
- The 12 new designs from Hallmark's partnership with Life is good® feature playful designs and sentiments encouraging Mom to relax and enjoy her day.
- The 12 fashionable, feminine and fabulous Mother's Day cards in the Sarah Jessica Parker Collection combine vintage images with modern touches and embellishments.
- Truly Thankful offers soft, serene images and photography paired with simple, sincere messages to express gratitude for every type of Mom including birth mother, like a mom and mother of my child.
- The Hallmark Signature Collection features sophisticated, stylish designs with simple, just right messages. Each is handcrafted with beautiful papers, rich textures and appealing embellishments. These cards will surprise and delight Mom with their elegance and intricate details.
- Hallmark Sinceramente offers 200 Mother's Day cards designed for consumers from the broad range of Hispanic cultures represented in the United States, Mexico and Puerto Rico. All of the cards are written in Spanish and feature English translations on the backs.
- Hallmark Mahogany provides 104 cards for Mother's Day, including a variety of designs for key recipients such as mother, grandmother, aunt, wife, sister, and daughter, as well as general wish cards appropriate for anyone. Mahogany cards feature culturally-relevant designs and heartwarming sentiments that help African-American consumers honor Mom and other special women in their lives.
- Hallmark.com offers a range of Mother's Day greeting cards which consumers can customize with their own messages and photos. Hallmark.com will address, stamp and mail the cards directly to the recipient for just the cost of postage. A range of cards feature premium paper, foil, metallic shimmer, or magnetic paper.
- HallmarkEcards.com provides Mother's Day ecards to share with friends and family, available with a subscription.
Cards for All Moms
- Consumers tell Hallmark that any women who are raising and supporting children are deserving of recognition, respect, affection and appreciation – at Mother's Day and any time.
- In addition to mom, wife and grandma, Hallmark offers Mother's Day cards for close family members such as daughter, granddaughter, mother-in-law, aunt and sister. Plus Hallmark creates cards for hard-to-find situations such as birthday, foreign language, caregiver, goddaughter and cousin.
- Hallmark cards offer special wishes for those celebrating their First Mother's Day as well as cards for expectant moms. Cards also exist to meet the needs of today's complex family relationships – stepmother, two moms, partner, former in-laws, dad-as-mom, dad's wife, birth mother, mother of my child, and anyone who is "like a mother."
Mother's Day Gifts
- Hallmark Gold Crown® Mother's Day gifts are simple, authentic and relatable and feature heartfelt messages and sentiments that let Mom or Grandma know that she is loved and appreciated. Many Hallmark gifts can be customized and personalized to help capture the moments that become treasured memories.
- Life Is a Special Occasion gifts offer an assortment of items that celebrate life for what it is, including its little moments, memories and relationships. This fun, energetic and life-affirming collection includes:
- Mugs featuring messages focused on Mom and Mama.
- Fabric pieces like Embroidery Hoops and Tea Towels with sentiments highlighting friendship, love and appreciation for Mom.
- Desktop Memo Boards which are a fun and interactive way to keep track of to-do lists, notes and goals.
- Trinket Boxes to safely store jewelry or office items.
- Pillows with messages that celebrate the importance of family and brighten up a room.
- Porcelain bird pieces from Hallmark Artist Kim Mallory feature well-known sayings and inspirational messages of hope and love that are combined with a bisque coloring and natural feel.
- Let Mom know her super powers don't go unnoticed with a collectible DC Comics™ Wonder Woman itty bittys® or give her one of her classic favorites like Ariel from Disney's The Little Mermaid or DOROTHY™ from The Wizard of Oz™.
- Hallmark Gift Books offers 11 titles that make great gifts for Mother's Day, including books for mom, grandma and daughter like Dream for My Daughter: A Mother's Lifetime of Hopes Come True, Baby Blessings: Gentle Words of Faith to Encourage Mothers of Newborns and Being A Grandma's a Marvelous Thing.
- Fresh and colorful stationery designs make a great gift for Mom or Grandma, and Hallmark Gold Crown stores offer a variety of options, including journals, list pads and purse notes.
- Hallmark Gold Crown stores also offer a variety of jewelry, frames, candles, sweet treats and other gift items appropriate for Mother's Day.
- Hallmark offers gift bags, including 'ready-to-go' bags, rolls of wrapping paper and gift card holders - along with coordinating tissues and gift trims an - in springtime patterns and bright colors perfect for Mother's Day.
- Hallmark Sinceramente also offers Spanish-language gift bags, 'ready-to-go' bags and trim.
Anna M. Jarvis, born in 1864 in Webster, Va., is credited as the force behind Mother's Day. When Jarvis was 41 years old, her mother died. On the second anniversary of her mother's death (the second Sunday in May 1908), Jarvis made public her plans to establish a day to honor mothers.
Other sources report "mother's day" church services on May 10, 1908, in Grafton, W. Va., and a celebration of mothers at the Wannamaker Auditorium in Philadelphia, Pa., on the same day.
The observance became official in 1914 when President Woodrow Wilson signed a proclamation naming the second Sunday of May as a day for "public expression of our love and reverence for the mothers of our country." 2014 marks the 100th anniversary of Mother's Day.
Available at Hallmark Gold Crown® stores nationwide and wherever Hallmark products are sold. Use the store locator on Hallmark.com to find the nearest Hallmark Gold Crown store.