Always observed on October 31
- According to a survey by the National Confectioners Association, 93 percent of children take part in Halloween trick-or-treating activities.
- A 2011 survey by the National Retail Federation determined 68 percent of adults plan to celebrate or participate in Halloween activities and that the average consumer spends about $72 on costumes, candy, decorations and greeting cards.
- Halloween is the third largest party day in the U.S. behind New Year’s Eve and Super Bowl Sunday.
- Halloween is one of the fastest growing holidays for home décor – both inside and out. By some estimates, Halloween is No. 2 in holiday home décor behind Christmas.
- Industry-wide, Americans exchange about 17 million Halloween cards each year.
- Hallmark first produced Halloween cards in the 1920s.
2012 Product News
Halloween TV Special
Mark your calendars! Hallmark Channel presents the world premiere of the Hallmark Channel original animated special, "hoops&yoyo's Haunted Halloween," Friday, October 26 (7pm ET/PT, 6C). The half-hour special about the world's most famous pink kitty & green bunny team will encore immediately after its premiere.
- Hallmark offers more than 330 Halloween cards, including cards for children, humor cards, bonus surprises, and beautiful imagery.
- The widest variety of new Halloween greeting cards can be found at Hallmark Gold Crown® stores and include these exclusives:
- Simply Spooky: This collection features fresh Halloween and fall photographs paired with simply stated sentiments.
- Tricks and Treats: These designs have sweeter emotions and fun extras like activities, reflective safety attachments, fold-out posters, light switch covers and more.
- Monster-Sized Die-Cuts - These cards have all of the perks. They can be displayed throughout the season; each card features a character on both sides of the card and an easel for standing and hook for hanging. Licensed designs feature Disney and Warner Bros. characters.
- Boutique - Includes displayable formats, fresh photography, attachments and bling, as well as an upscale take on a licensed character, a handmade/layered owl, and a mask. These cards offer creepy fun and a bit of trickster attitude.
- Cutes With Song - Die-cut characters bring sweet and playful fun to Halloween. Cards play fun Halloween songs and sounds that kids love. Suitable for Preschool kids, age 1-4.
- Technology Innovation - New formats give spooky surprises. These concepts provide lighthearted fun for kids of all ages.
- Star Wars Pets - Clever intergalactic tie-ins created by our merry band of writers & Star Wars nerds pairs perfectly with photographic pets as favorite Star Wars characters. May the fur be with you!
- Wicked Wit - Share a Halloween laugh with your friends with these hilarious adult-to-adult cards.
- Cello Packs - Provides convenient solution for multiples-sending.
- Hallmark.com also provides a selection of e-cards, and paper cards and party plates that may be personalized and mailed directly to the recipient.
Halloween Products & Party
- Shadows & Shrieks Witch's Hat Door Décor – Kids will love this mysterious illusion with an unexpected surprise. When approached, a lighted witch's face appears accompanied by witch's laughter.
- Shadows & Shrieks Framed Print – When approached, spooky sounds play and characters appear in the haunted house windows, one at a time, and then all in sequence.
- Ghostly Singing Duo – Start a boo-tiful tradition with this first in a series of collectable ghostly plush. Press a button to hear this ghostly duo sing a trick-or-treat parody of "The Addams Family" theme song.
- Jokin' in the John Ghost – It isn't Halloween until there is a ghost in the bathroom! Every time the door opens, he is ready to welcome all with a special song to the tune of "Hall of the Mountain King" and a few other phrases fit for the throne.
- Trickery & Treats Candy Presenter – Spellcasters far and wide will covet this special trick-or-treat trunk. Open the lid to hear one of five spooky phrases and plenty of cackles.
- The Rockin’ Talkin’ Witch’s Hat – Back by popular demand, this hat can add fun to any Halloween get together. Press the button and the hat moves back and forth in sync to a song.
- Halloween Mini Glitter Globe Assortment – Light up your home or office for Halloween. Fun for mantles, desks or entry tables, any place you want to spread the Halloween spirit.
- My Pet Ghosts – These characters – Genevieve Ruffles, Julian Hijinks, and Maxwell McSpooky – have been happily haunting since 1602 and are ready to make an appearance in your home.
- My Pet Ghosts: Take these frightening ghosts home and just by pressing the top of the bottle stopper, you will see a ghostly image appear with coordinating sounds. Collect all 3!
- A Ghost Party Gift Book: Read the story of the three pet ghosts as they get ready to party for Halloween.
- My Pet Ghost Greeting Cards: These cards feature sweet and playful renditions of a classic Halloween icon. Removable stickers add to the play value of the cards.
- Hallmark Gold Crown® stores offer a variety of unique Halloween plush characters.
- Press the button on Giddy-Up Snoopy's ear to see him gallop around to the "Ride of Valkyries."
- Mini Snoopy Assortment – First in a series of collectible seasonal mini Snoopy plush.
- Hungry Little Devil Taz – Press Taz's foot to hear him say one of five phrases.
- Salt and Pepper Shaker with Sound – Features motion-activated spooky sound.
- Jammin' Jack-o'-Lantern – Press down on this jack-o'-lantern's head and he sings a parody of "Monster Mash."
- Hocus Pocus Hurricane Lamp – Back by popular demand, this spooky accent will add to any festive décor.
- Hallmark Keepsake Ornaments brought back The Peanuts® Gang again this year. Four new Halloween and one Thanksgiving ornament designs are available. They include Charlie Brown o' Lantern, Snoopy and Woodstock o' Lanterns, Lucy o' Lantern, Bobbing for Apples and A Thanksgiving Feast.
- Hallmark Gold Crown stores offer a variety of Halloween Gift Books:
- Check out "Peanuts® Holidays through the Year - Five Classic Stories" for 158 pages of pure Peanuts® fun. All of the classic characters will be involved for a little holiday fun.
- Trick & Treat's Book of Frightfully Fun Halloween Activities - Coloring pages, mazes, connect-the-dots and all kinds of playfully spooky activities make Halloween fun.
- "It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" now features sound and is ready for you to experience as you get ready for the Great pumpkin to appear.
- With a wave of Glinda's wand, the Good Witch Bad Witch Gifts will give foundation for some memorable parties - flying monkeys and all. The line features a Ruby Red Slipper Wine Bottle Holder, You Think I'm Wicked Mug, Wine Bottle Charm Assortment, Wine Charm Set, Spreader Set, trivet and coaster set all featuring witty witch related sentiments.
- Hallmark Gold Crown stores also offer one-stop shopping for Halloween decorating needs with items such as unique candy presenters, room decorations, gift and treat bags, paper party supplies, and stickers.
- Hallmark.com also provides a selection of party plates and invitations that may be personalized and mailed directly to the recipient.
Halloween is a secular celebration based on ancient Druid customs, dating back to 700 B.C. The Druids, a Celtic religious order in ancient Britain, Ireland and France, believed that the souls of the dead returned to mingle with the living on “hallowed eve.” People dressed in costumes to disguise themselves from these spirits.
Halloween first was celebrated in the United States in the 1840s, when Irish Catholics, fleeing from the potato famine, brought Halloween customs with them to America. The tradition of carving pumpkins into jack-o’-lanterns originated with Irish children who carved out the centers of rutabagas, turnips and potatoes and placed candles inside.
The first Halloween cards in the U.S. were produced in 1908. Hallmark produced its first Halloween cards in the 1920s along with a limited line of Halloween party accessories, such as nut cups and bridge tallies. In the late 1950s and early 1960s, Hallmark began producing Halloween centerpieces, masks, children’s things, and paper partyware items.
Available at Hallmark Gold Crown® stores nationwide and wherever Hallmark products are sold. Use the store locator on Hallmark.com to find the nearest Hallmark Gold Crown store.