Always celebrated the third Sunday of June in the U.S.
- Father’s Day is always the third Sunday in June.
- Father’s Day is the fourth-largest card-sending holiday in the United States, with 72 million cards exchanged annually.
- 50 percent of all Father’s Day cards are purchased for dads. Nearly 20 percent of Father’s Day cards are purchased for husbands. Other categories include grandfathers, sons, brothers, uncles, and someone special.
- Humor cards account for about 25 percent of Father’s Day sales.
- Hallmark has been producing Father’s Day cards since the early 1920s.
2017 Product Features
Father's Day Cards
- Hallmark offers more than 800 cards for Father's Day to recognize the dads in our lives with sincerity, laughter, distinctiveness and impact.
- Card prices begin at 99 cents.
- For Father's Day 2017 Hallmark card includes the following:
- Family Collection: Featuring the voice of Hallmark writer Rie Egawa-Zbryk, these designs pair simple editorial with natural, textural imagery. Cards are available for husband, man I love, grandpa, son, son-in-law and any dad.
- Shoebox Humor Collection: This 8-card collection features manly mantras that honor dad and help tickle his funny bone.
- Anthem Song Card Collection: Celebrate Dad with celebratory cards that feature warm messages and surprisingly perfect music clips.
- Father's Day Innovation Collection: Virtual Reality cards have high-quality, buzz-worthy videos that create giftable "bucket list" experiences.
- Cards that feature classy, spirited, culturally-relevant designs and warm, complimentary words that recognize the important role fathers play in the African-American community make up the Hallmark Mahogany Father's Day collection. Cards are available to honor dad, grandfather, husband, son, brother or anyone who is a special father-figure in the consumer's life.
- Hallmark Vida features Spanish-language Father's Day cards with messages of gratitude and genuine compliments to recognize the strength, support and hard work of fatherhood. Cards are available in a variety of formats for father, grandfather, husband, brother, brother-in-law, son, son-in-law, uncle and others.
- InkandMain.com offers a range of Father's Day greeting cards which consumers can customize with their own messages and photos. InkandMain.com will address, stamp and mail the cards directly to the recipient for just the cost of postage.
- HallmarkEcards.com provides Father's Day ecards to share with friends and family, available with a subscription.
Cards for All Dads
- In addition to dad, husband and grandpa, Hallmark offers Father's Day cards for close family members such as father-in-law, son, son-in-law, grandson, great-grandpa, uncle, brother and nephew, as well as godson, godfather and cousin.
- Hallmark cards offer special wishes for those celebrating their first Father's Day and for dads-to-be. Hallmark also creates cards to meet the needs of today's complex family relationships with cards appropriate for stepfather, partner, mom-as-dad, and anyone who is "like a father."
- Affectionate titles for grandpa can be found with Pick-A-Title cards including Granddad, Pop-Pop, Gramps, Poppy, Abuelo, Paw-Paw and Papa.
- Father's Day cards are also available from the cat and from the dog.
Gifts Perfect for Dad
- Etched with precision and perfect for Dad, Hallmark's Barware collection is simple, sleek, sophisticated and perfect for popular drink needs including wine, beer and cocktails. A variety of accessories help round out the experience.
- Hallmark's Super Heroes collection is full of mugs, frames and metal signs featuring DC Comics' Justice League and Marvel's Avengers. The different formats celebrate the triumph of good over evil in an action-packed world filled with endearing and engaging characters.
- Celebrating decades in a galaxy far, far away, the Star Wars™ collection celebrates George Lucas' unique and iconic universe of diverse characters where good is triumphant over the dark side. Bookends, mugs, perpetual calendars and BBQ accessories round out the collection.
- Hallmark Gift Books offer a variety of books for Father's Day including Dad Gone Viral, Dad's Playbook: Wisdom for Fathers From the Greatest Coaches of All Time and You're My Hero, Dad.
- Hallmark also offers a variety of gift bags, wrap and tissue to help make one-stop Father's Day shopping easy.
A Babylonian youth named Elmesu carved the first known Father's Day card in clay nearly 4,000 years ago. His special message wished his father good health and a long life.
William Jackson Smart of Spokane, Wash., a man ahead of his time, is the inspiration for modern-day Father’s Day. Smart was a widower and Civil War veteran who was both father and mother to his six children for 21 years after the death of his wife. Smart’s daughter, Sonora Louise (Mrs. John Bruce Dodd), got the idea for Father’s Day in 1909 while listening to a Mother’s Day sermon at church. She encouraged local churches to institute a Father's Day observance the following year (1910) on one Sunday in June, the month of her father’s birth. Through her efforts, interest in the celebration of Father’s Day grew and spread to other cities and states.
Although many congressional resolutions proclaiming a national Father’s Day were introduced through the years, the holiday was made official in 1972 when President Richard Nixon signed a presidential resolution that declared Father’s Day as the third Sunday in June.
In Stores & Online
Available at Hallmark Gold Crown® stores nationwide, online at InkandMain.com, Hallmark.com, and wherever Hallmark products are sold. Use the store locator on Hallmark.com to find the nearest Hallmark Gold Crown store.
©MARVEL ©2014 CPII
BATMAN and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © DC Comics.