Always celebrated the third Sunday of June in the U.S.
- Father’s Day is always the third Sunday in June.
- Father’s Day is the fourth-largest card-sending holiday in the United States, with 80 million cards exchanged annually.
- 50 percent of all Father’s Day cards are purchased for dads. Nearly 20 percent of Father’s Day cards are purchased for husbands. Other categories include grandfathers, sons, brothers, uncles, and someone special.
- Humor cards account for about 25 percent of Father’s Day sales.
- Hallmark has been producing Father’s Day cards since the early 1920s.
2015 Product Features
Father's Day Cards
- Hallmark offers nearly 630 cards for Father's Day, including humor cards, Hallmark Mahogany cards for African-American consumers and Hallmark Sinceramente designs with Spanish messages designed for Hispanic consumers.
- Card prices begin at 99 cents.
- For Father's Day 2014, Hallmark offers the following:
- Family Collection: Artful designs with conversational sentiments provide an authentic way to tell him you care. Cards are available for husband, grandpa, great grandpa, son and son-in-law.
- Humor Collection: This 12-card collection combines classic icons and bold lettering with quick, to-the-point humor to tickle his funny bone.
- Life is good®: These 16 cards, feature the Life is good® brand message of simple pleasures, optimism and a sense of humor.
- Hallmark Signature Collection: These cards for Father's Day are truly unique, just like a signature. The exquisite textures, premium quality paper, fun embellishments, and relevant messages are sure to help Hallmark Signature Collection cards become holiday favorites.
- The Hallmark Mahogany Father's Day collection features cards for Father's Day with a broad selection of culturally relevant designs and warm sentiments to honor dad, grandfather, husband, brother or anyone who is a special father-figure in the consumer's life.
- Hallmark Sinceramente features Spanish-language Father's Day cards in a variety of formats for father, grandfather, husband, brother, son and others.
- Hallmark.com offers a range of Father's Day greeting cards which consumers can customize with their own messages and photos. Hallmark.com will address, stamp and mail the cards directly to the recipient for just the cost of postage. A range of cards feature premium paper, foil, metallic shimmer, or magnetic paper.
- HallmarkEcards.com provides Father's Day ecards to share with friends and family, available with a subscription.
Cards for All Dads
- In addition to dad, husband and grandpa, Hallmark offers Father's Day cards for close family members such as father-in-law, son, son-in-law, grandson, great-grandpa, uncle, brother and nephew, as well as godson, godfather and cousin.
- Hallmark cards offer special wishes for those celebrating their first Father's Day and for dads-to-be. Hallmark also creates cards to meet the needs of today's complex family relationships with cards appropriate for stepfather, partner, mom-as-dad, and anyone who is "like a father."
- Affectionate titles for grandpa can be found with Pick-A-Title cards including Granddad, Pop-Pop, Gramps, Poppy, Abuelo, Paw-Paw and Papa.
- Father's Day cards are also available from the cat and from the dog.
Gifts Perfect for Dad
- Hallmark has partnered with Life is good® to create Father's Day gifts that are genuine, life-affirming and relevant. These functional gifts with a purpose include:
- Uniquely designed mugs for Dad or Grandpa.
- Golf ball sets and golf towels for Dad's who are looking to hit the green.
- A cutting board, BBQ oven mitt or BBQ towel for the Dad who'd rather be grilling.
- Other gifts that easily fit into Dad's life include bottle openers, key chains and picture frames.
- Two Life is good® Hallmark gift bags are available to wrap up the gifts in style.
- Help Dad add to his collection of Hallmark itty bittys® with Superman from DC Comics or Darth Vader™ and Yoda™ from Star Wars.™
- Hallmark Garage has gifts that shift the day into high gear for the car loving dad. Detailed die-cast models of Kiddie Car Classic pedal cars and stamped-metal wall signs are complemented with mugs, magnets and other car themed accessories.
- Hallmark Gift Books offer a variety of books for Father's Day including Love You, Dad, a sweet book that gives thanks to dad for all he does, You're Loved Dad and Dad's Playbook which is full of wisdom for fathers.
- Hallmark also offers a variety of gift bags, wrap, tissue and gift card holders to help make one-stop Father's Day shopping easy.
A Babylonian youth named Elmesu carved the first known Father's Day card in clay nearly 4,000 years ago. His special message wished his father good health and a long life.
William Jackson Smart of Spokane, Wash., a man ahead of his time, is the inspiration for modern-day Father’s Day. Smart was a widower and Civil War veteran who was both father and mother to his six children for 21 years after the death of his wife. Smart’s daughter, Sonora Louise (Mrs. John Bruce Dodd), got the idea for Father’s Day in 1909 while listening to a Mother’s Day sermon at church. She encouraged local churches to institute a Father's Day observance the following year (1910) on one Sunday in June, the month of her father’s birth. Through her efforts, interest in the celebration of Father’s Day grew and spread to other cities and states.
Although many congressional resolutions proclaiming a national Father’s Day were introduced through the years, the holiday was made official in 1972 when President Richard Nixon signed a presidential resolution that declared Father’s Day as the third Sunday in June.
In Stores & Online
Available at Hallmark Gold Crown® stores nationwide, online at Hallmark.com, and wherever Hallmark products are sold. Use the store locator on Hallmark.com to find the nearest Hallmark Gold Crown store.