Celebrated on June 15, 2014
- Father’s Day is always the third Sunday in June.
- Father’s Day is the fourth-largest card-sending holiday in the United States, with 80 million cards exchanged annually.
- 50 percent of all Father’s Day cards are purchased for dads. Nearly 20 percent of Father’s Day cards are purchased for husbands. Other categories include grandfathers, sons, brothers, uncles, and someone special.
- Two top-selling kinds of cards are “Dad from Daughter” and cards from a couple or family group: “Dad From Both” and “Our Wish.”
- Humor cards account for about 25 percent of Father’s Day sales.
- Hallmark has been producing Father’s Day cards since the early 1920s.
2014 Product Features
Father's Day Cards
- Hallmark offers nearly 800 cards for Father's Day, including Shoebox humor cards, Hallmark Mahogany cards for African-American consumers and Hallmark Sinceramente designs with Spanish messages designed for Hispanic consumers.
- Card prices begin at 99 cents.
- For Father's Day 2014, Hallmark offers the following:
- Simply Fatherhood: Celebrate all things Dad with this 12-card collection that features simply stated editorial combined with warm, close-up photography.
- Humor Collection: The 12-card collection features animal photos with fun attachments and widely appealing sentiments which are guaranteed to get a laugh from Dad.
- Life is good®: These 20 cards, featuring Hallmark's partnership with the Life is good® Company, spread the power of optimism and the joy of simple pleasures.
- Hallmark Signature Collection cards for Father's Day are truly unique, just like a signature. The exquisite textures, premium quality paper, fun embellishments, and relevant messages are sure to help Hallmark Signature Collection cards become holiday favorites.
- Card Presenters: Timeless sentiments paired with high-processed envelopes to enhance the value, presitge and emotion of delivering a Hallmark card.
- The Hallmark Mahogany Father's Day collection features more than 70 cards for Father's Day with a broad selection of culturally relevant designs and warm sentiments to honor dad, grandfather, husband, brother or anyone who is a special father-figure in the consumer's life.
- Hallmark Sinceramente features more than 100 Spanish-language Father's Day cards with a variety of formats including Cards With Sound.
- Hallmark.com offers a variety of Father's Day cards that can be personalized online. On Hallmark.com, you can upload photos and create customized messages to be featured in your card. Hallmark will address, stamp and mail your Father's Day cards for you.
- For tech-savvy shoppers, the Hallmark Go Cards app – a free app for iPhone – allows consumers to select, personalize and send a paper greeting card from an iPhone anytime, from anywhere. Edit messages, add photos and import contacts, write with a finger on the screen to add a signature, then press send, and for $3.49 a personalized paper card will be delivered to Dad.
Cards for All Dads
- In addition to dad, husband and grandpa, Hallmark offers Father's Day cards for close family members such as father-in-law, son, son-in-law, grandson, great-grandpa, uncle, brother and nephew, as well as godson, godfather and cousin.
- Hallmark cards offer special wishes for those celebrating their first Father's Day and for dads-to-be. Hallmark also creates cards to meet the needs of today's complex family relationships with cards appropriate for stepfather, partner, mom-as-dad, and anyone who is "like a father."
Gifts Perfect for Dad
- Customly Yours: Three simple steps are all it takes to create a unique and customized gift for Dad that includes personal words, thoughts and messages.
- First, select a frame at Hallmark Gold Crown stores.
- Visit Hallmark.com/Customly-Yours and use the access code found on the purchased product to begin creating. Prompts and idea starters are provided.
- Upon completion, a custom, laser-cut insert for the frame is shipped at no additional charge.
- Watch the demo video to learn more.
- Hit a homerun with Dad and let him know he's appreciated with an Autographable Baseball that will serve as a keepsake for years to come or Dad's Remote Control which serves up 17 messages relating to his love of sports, food and family, and is sure to keep him laughing.
- Harley Davidson® Gifts: For Dads that love the open road, commemorate his passion with gifts that feature iconic Harley-inspired editorial and colors including mugs, coasters, metal signs, perpetual calendars and more.
- Star Wars™ Gifts: The force will be with Dad this Father's Day with the Star Wars™ gift collection, featuring the Darth Vader™ and Yoda™ stacking mugs, a Chewbacca™ Bottle Opener with Sound, and the Yoda Destiny Decider. Additional Star Wars themed plaques, frames and a perpetual calendar give fans a way to express their alliances.
- One-of-a-Kind Creations Gifts: Hallmark partners with Shutterfly to help shoppers create a one-of-a-kind photo frame for Dad. Purchase the die-cut frame at Hallmark and then visit Shutterfly.com/Prints/Hallmark-Inserts to personalize digital pictures using the code provided with the frame. The code also provides consumers with the printout of their photos and direct-to-home shipping at no extra cost.
- Hallmark Gift Books offer a variety of books for Father's Day including Love You, Dad, a sweet book that recognizes all the important things fathers do for their children and A Father's Legacy which helps fathers reflect upon memories and to share them with loved ones.
- Hallmark takes Father's Day seriously and offers many gifts perfect for that special man in your life. Check out the Ceramic Travel Mugs, humorous Sound Buttons and variety of keychains.
- Hallmark also offers a variety of gift bags, wrap, tissue and add-ons to make one-stop Father's Day shopping easy, as well as paper partyware to enhance the celebration.
A Babylonian youth named Elmesu carved the first known Father's Day card in clay nearly 4,000 years ago. His special message wished his father good health and a long life.
William Jackson Smart of Spokane, Wash., a man ahead of his time, is the inspiration for modern-day Father’s Day. Smart was a widower and Civil War veteran who was both father and mother to his six children for 21 years after the death of his wife. Smart’s daughter, Sonora Louise (Mrs. John Bruce Dodd), got the idea for Father’s Day in 1909 while listening to a Mother’s Day sermon at church. She encouraged local churches to institute a Father's Day observance the following year (1910) on one Sunday in June, the month of her father’s birth. Through her efforts, interest in the celebration of Father’s Day grew and spread to other cities and states.
Although many congressional resolutions proclaiming a national Father’s Day were introduced through the years, the holiday was made official in 1972 when President Richard Nixon signed a presidential resolution that declared Father’s Day as the third Sunday in June.
Available at Hallmark Gold Crown® stores nationwide and wherever Hallmark products are sold. Use the store locator on Hallmark.com to find the nearest Hallmark Gold Crown store.