Always celebrated December 25
- Christmas is the largest card-sending holiday in the United States, with approximately 1.3 billion cards sent to friends and loved ones every year.
- According to Hallmark research, consumers say they always participate in the following activities during the holiday season:
- 98% Wrap presents
- 90% Decorate inside their homes
- 88% Decorate a Christmas tree
- 85% Send Christmas cards, letters or photos
- 83% Play Christmas music
- 77% Attend a Christmas party, gathering or luncheon
- Hallmark made its first Christmas cards in 1915, five years after the founding of the company.
- Hallmark is credited with founding the modern-day gift wrap industry in 1917.
2016 Product News
Hallmark offers more than 1,600 individual Christmas greeting cards and 325 sets of boxed cards that meet a variety of diverse relationship needs and sending situations.
Hallmark Gold Crown® stores offer the widest variety of Christmas cards that reflect the spirit of the season including:
- Premium artist collections.
- Christmas cards from Mahogany and Hallmark VIDA for African-American and Latino consumers.
- A card for just about every holiday sending need, from active military personnel to the doctor, postal carrier, school bus driver or hairdresser.
In addition, personalized holiday greeting cards are available on InkandMain.com for Christmas, Season's Greetings, Happy Holidays and more. A sender can create the perfect card by personalizing the text and adding photos. InkandMain.com will mail cards directly to the recipients.
Hallmarkecards.com also offers Christmas ecards, available with a subscription.
Visit the 2016 Christmas Cards fact sheet for an expanded list of products and information.
Christmas Gifts & Home Décor
Hallmark has a variety of unique collections of holiday products to help strengthen and share traditions like decorating homes, baking treats and building anticipation for the season including:
- The Heritage Collection - A collection of heirloom gifts, ornaments and gift wrap that use Hallmark's rich history and the very best craftsmanship.
- The Matt Kesler Artist Collection - This collection features prints, figurines, sentiments and a book designed for those who want to place the true meaning of Christmas front and center.
- Holiday Home - A wide selection of holiday décor and entertaining gifts like serving trays, mugs, throws and laser cut art featuring Santa and smiling snowmen add warmth and festive ambiance to all holiday surroundings.
Hallmark also offers great gift ideas for kids including:
- itty bittys® - In addition to new itty bittys® book bundles and ornaments, new holiday characters are available including Hello Kitty® and Barbie®. Hallmark will donate $1 to Toys for Tots for each Holiday Hello Kitty® itty bittys character sold.
- Keepsake Kids - Start a new tradition that's just their size with a soft, tabletop Christmas tree made for little hands. Kids can decorate their very own tree over and over again with small plush ornaments that hang from brightly colored buttons.
- Jingle and Bell - Everyone's favorite husky pups are all dressed up for the holidays in Santa suits. This years' assortment also includes pet toys and a pet bowl place mat. Hallmark again is partnering with the Best Friends Animal Society to find loving homes for 2,000 pets.
See the Christmas Gifts and Home Décor fact sheet for an expanded lists of products and information.
Christmas Gift Wrap
Hallmark holiday gift wrap is available to help make gift giving and receiving fun, exciting, surprising and personal. Styles available to wrap up the season with flair include:
- Bows & Bits - Everything in this collection conveniently coordinates so personal style can be added to each gift. Popular formats available are stiff handle bags and Kraft boxes.
- Artful - Designs feature a fresh color palette and artistic styling evokes a sense of whimsy that's appealing to adults and kids alike.
- Multicultural - Hallmark Vida offers a beautiful and festive collection full of traditional images as well as colorful patterns with Spanish-language sentiments incorporated into most designs. Mahogany offers several gift bag designs to appeal to African-American consumers and others. And gift wrap and gift bags featuring iconic images and blue and silver designs are available for Hanukkah.
Additional gift wrap options include stylized reversible rolls, gift card presenters, bottle bags, bottle gift boxes, ready-to-go bags, bag bundles and Hallmark Signature gift wrap.
More than 100 Holiday gift bags are available in small, medium, large, x-large, grand, jumbo and bottle bags with tags.
Hallmark provides a wide selection of elegant and fun accessories for the perfect finishing touch
See the 2016 Christmas Gift Wrap fact sheet for an expanded list of products and information.
Hallmark Keepsake Ornaments
In 2016 more than 400 new Hallmark Keepsake Ornaments are available for a wide variety of interests and situations including to commemorate milestones, nurture memories, recognize special interests and passions and celebrate relationships. From long-running series to new licensed properties, there is a Hallmark Keepsake Ornament available to deck anyone's tree including:
- Licensed ornaments from popular television shows and movies like Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice™, The Big Bang Theory, and The Walking Dead, as well as sports-related superstars.
- Premium Ornaments that incorporate uncommon artistry through the use of high-end materials and embellishments including glass, porcelain and fabric.
- Ongoing favorite series like Frosty Friends as well as a variety of ornaments featuring Santa, angels, snowmen and scenes depicting iconic Christmas settings.
- Innovative technology and design that brings magical motion, light and sound to the tree.
- A variety of multicultural ornaments that offer appeal to Hispanic, African-American and other consumers.
- Honoring milestones such as baby's first Christmas, a couple's first holiday together or the adoption of a child.
See the 2016 Hallmark Keepsake Ornaments facts for an expanded list of new products.
Christmas is a Christian holiday celebrated around the world commemorating the birth of Jesus Christ. In the third century, efforts were made to find out the date of the Nativity, but only in the year 336 A.D. was the date of the Dec. 25 festival set in commemoration of Jesus’ birth. Pope Julius formally selected Dec. 25 as the day of Christmas in 349 A.D.
Roman Catholics, Lutherans, members of the Dutch Reformed and Anglican churches, and those of the German sects were most responsible for establishing Christmas traditions in America. Christmas customs spread with the westward expansion of the United States and by the late 1800s had become firmly entrenched in American society.
In Stores & Online
Available at Hallmark Gold Crown® stores nationwide, participating Hallmark retailers, Hallmark.com and InkandMain.com. Use the store locator on Hallmark.com to find the nearest Hallmark Gold Crown store or to shop online.